Re: 6600 GT PCIE Sol 10 u1 - errors
Well I played around some more and finally succeeded, if in very convoluted way.
First, however, let me mention that I never ever got the Xorg nv driver working.
Second, I found the overall behavior of the installers and Xorg quite quirky,
some of it surmountable with some basic commands.
So how did I get a working X driver set up?
1) Install Solaris 10 3/5. Using the console text install, as the
X window came up, but did not accept keyboard input.
Get your partions righ the first time round, as the reshuffling excercise
which ensues during an upgrade is not woth the trouble.
That means, min 6GB for the root, if you want the companion disk
Note that at that point I didn't have a working network connection,
via the nge0 device - not sure whether that's a excercise of simple
'plumb'ing or unsupported. Works fine in 1/6.
2) Install the NVIDIA package. Sweet and easy. reboot. Working.
3) Upgrade to Solaris 10 1/6. That definitely took some time, but worked
OK. Btw. that's console text based again.
4) At this point, starting the Xorg server failed, and I did not get it working
but also didn't try very hard. I think among other things the file
/etc/driver_aliases was overwritten by the upgrade.
Install companion software.
5) Reinstall the NVIDIA package. reboot. Working.
6) Cleanup, set the keyboard correctly, plumb the networking, reconfigure
the system etc.
I also installed the latest patches for the kernel and Xorg and device
Bottom line is I don't know why 1/6 did not work for me in the first place.
And why it works now. Pobably easy to figure out with full knowledge of
the required device files and config - which I don't have.
The only issue I'm having is 640 x 400 mode as my monitor is not communicating to the driver. Not sure why my config doesn't overwite it.
Thanks for reading to the end.
Sorry for not reporting the problem properly - all this took a lot more time
than I tought it would and I won't reinstall just for that.