View Single Post
Old 07-28-02, 07:25 PM   #1
vcrispo

Unhappy rh7.3 and nvidia

I have an Asus motherboard A7N277 with the onboard nvidia graphics, audio, and NiC. I have been trying to get RH 7.3 loaded for about three weeks now with no success.

With all the different tries I performed. I add the necessary lines and changed "nv" to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4,
ran /sbin/insmod (no errors)
ran /sbin/modprobe (no errors)
I also have commented out and uncomment the GLCore and dri settings.

I also performed a clean install before each different setup I have listed..

I'm also running the latest XFree86 file.

From what I can tell there were no errors received on any of the installs except for when I started "startx".

1. I ran NVchooser.sh under kernel 2.4.28-3 and it told me to run NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2960.i386.rpm and NVIDIA_kernel-1.0.2960rh73up.athlon.rpm. I followed the instructions From the NVidia Linux website. Received no errors during the installs.

When I ran startx I got the error
(II) Load Module : nvidia
"(WW) Couldn't open module NVidia".
(II) Unload Module Nvidia
(EE) Failed to load module NVidia, ( module doesn't exits)

2. Under 2.4.18-3 I have also used NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.tar.gz and NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2960.tar.gz. I followed the instructions given in the NVIDIA website for Linux. Again I got the errors listed ubove.

Under 2.4.28-3 I also ran the 2880 series kernel from NVidia.

3. I also updated to kernel 2.4.28-5 making sure the source code was there. I performed the three steps listed above and still received the same error.

Does anyone recognize this error and what may be causing it. None of the posting I have read have dealt with this error. Further the NVidia FAQ doesn't address this problem either.

I emailed NVidia but they haven't responded to my email.

I have tried a few (not all) installs testing a few of the generic drivers without succes. Does anyone know a generic driver that might work.

I didn't have any of these problems before I upgraded to the new motherboard and video etc...

Thanks,
Vin