View Single Post
Old 02-18-06, 08:33 PM   #4
snowmanwithahat
Snowy

Default Re: 6800GS (unlocked) trade for P4 3.0 worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynnek
I have 1.5 gigs on my 865 chipset mobo and its works just fine.. Thats the beauty of Intel products.. they just work. I have a p4 3.2 and a 6800 gt too.. It gets the job done.

Anyways, you have to sit down and crunch the numbers on how much money you are going to spend on your current setup.. and how long its going to last.

vs making the leap to something new.. Like getting a Intel 920 D and OC'ing it to at least 3.7 ghz is really really tempting.. awesome bang for the buck. Unfortunantly, I've blown my budget effectively for at least the first half of this year by getting the gateway widescreen lcd..

That and AGP is now a deadend, so personally, I wouldn't spend any more money on a AGP card, cause I know my next system will be PCIe.. Only exception is, if you are deadset of using AGP for next couple of years.

I'm more of just buy an really nice complete system, and stick with it for about 3 years (maybe more ram or hd's), and just get another new complete system afterwards.. since really, not much is worth carrying over anymore..
i see your point, i agree, my 3.0ghz northwood at 3.4ghz and my 6800 GT (ultra) is great, it gets the job done perfectly

however, i think there'd be quite a difference between that celeron and a 3.0c.... i'd do it, because you'll eventually end up with a better cpu and video card, either way you look at it, it'll be an upgrade, and if you don't have all the money for a complete new system and you want to max it out (like i wanted to) it'll probably work

i've had this system for 2 years, and this 6800 GT for about half a year.... it was maxed out for a while and technically it can go further with a 7800 GS. however in your case i think it'd be great to do the upgrade, and max out your agp system, plus it takes away the hassle of having to re-install because of going to a new motherboard, go ahead and max it out, you'll enjoy it
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m