View Single Post
Old 03-26-06, 05:02 PM   #1
GfnK

Default X problem in Ubuntu w/ 6600GT SLI

Allright, I've been running my current rig for a while with XP, but I set aside an empty partition on my HD for Linux when I first set the machine up. Now that I finally got around to installing Linux (Ubuntu 5.10 64-bit) I'm having a really strange issue with X.

Whenever I boot into linux, I see the Ubuntu splash and the list of checks that the system goes through as it is booting. However, once that is done and I see a dash in the upper left hand corner flash a few times, then it stays solid. I am pretty sure at this point X has fully loaded, and is just showing on my screen what was shown last (the dash). The reason I've come to this conclusion is because I can hear all the sounds comming from various things that I do. If I just hit enter, I hear an error-esque sound. However, if I blindly enter my login, hit tab, then type in my password, I hear a very pleasant sound, which I'm guessing is the shell loading up.

Now, I can go into terminals 1-6 with no problem and work various commands, but if I try to enter terminal 7, I basically have the same problem as in the beginning and just see what was last on the screen. I installed the latest nVidia drivers using the "Method 1" from the Ubuntu how-to guide, but it didn't seem to change anything. I also tried the command "sudo nvidia-glx-config enable" but it changed nothing.

Here are the basic specs of my machine:

Gigabyte K8-N SLI mobo
2 x PNY 6600GT video cards
AMD 3500+ socket 939 proccy

Any help would be much appreciated!
GfnK is offline   Reply With Quote