View Single Post
Old 03-27-06, 03:25 PM   #22
suburbanguy

Default Re: SEGA Lindbergh Arcade Board Naked - GPU Shown to be 2004-era GeForce 6 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by sznupi
But you're missing the point...even though, hardware-wise, it's made of PC parts, it's NOT a PC, so don't compare them directly.
I disagree. Lindbergh IS basicly a PC, even if the Windows OS is gone. Lindbergh is more of a PC than even the Xbox-based Chihiro arcade board that runs OutRun2.

Quote:
BTW, many of you said than in days of Naomi things were different...well, not really. Naomi hardware was exotic, but not that powerfull - Kyro/Kyro2 cards used in PC (of the same heritage as Dreamcast/Naomi) were faster than its GFX part.
I was not talking about the NAOMI days of the late 1990s and early 2000s, I was talking about the early to mid 1990s when Sega's General Electric powered MODEL-1, Martin Marietta powered MODEL-2 and Lockheed Martin Real3D powered MODEL-3 absolutely destroyed the highest-end, most expensive consumer PC technology around.

Quote:
The thing is...arcades/consoles can:
1) Have overall hardware design/architecture geared towards processing games (obviously not the case here, but when one looks at PS2...)
2) Run o lightweight operating system
3) Have games optimised the **** outta them - you must develop only for ONE, SPECIFIC hardware type - you don't have to care about how the games scales, so you might do things that, yeah, are possible on comparable PC, but nobody does them because the game won't run acceptably on slower machines. Oh, and you can play with hardware a bit more directly when you're sure what it is...
while it IS true that Lindbergh arcade games will outperform PC games that run on a PC with the same/similar specs, that does not make Lindbergh special.
suburbanguy is offline   Reply With Quote