Finally I got X working under RHL 7.3
after nearly a month of building, rising frustration!
Basically here's what I did:
1) Did a fresh installation off the CDs. Let it configure my X during installation tho I knew it wouldnt do anything. Created a bootdisk and when the installation was done, rebooted.
-Upon reboot, X didnt start (of course), but I let it went on anyway, so that it could generate a XF86Config-4 file for later editing.
-Rebooted the second time off the floppy, and typed linux 3
at the boot prompt so that X wouldnt start upon reboot.
-I DID NOT
do any kernel recompilation! The kernel I'm using is 2.4.18-3
. But just make sure you have both the kernel-source
installed. In RHL 7.3, kernel-headers is renamed to glibc-kernheaders
so you need to install this file.
2) After installation I just installed both NVIDIA rpm files. Now, NVchooser told me to use other files but I just went on w/ these two source files:
3) cd'ed into the /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386
and installed the rpm files w/o any error.
-If you encounter any error here, most probably there are dependencies error. *
4) edited /etc/modules.conf
as necessary (consult the readme file which comes w/ your driver packages)
5) startx and voilla X was crisp and clear.
* You might run into dependencies problems when trying to rpm --build
or rpm -ivh
your packages. In this case just install the required packages first, going back each time there's such error notification (not an error really, just a reminder that your missing some certain packeages).
**Read the readme.txt carefully. Most of your problems will have answers there.
Hope this helps and good luck!
One important thing dont be disheartened! There's always a way around