View Single Post
Old 04-12-06, 07:44 AM   #20
doctor-frog

Default Re: Nvidia 6200 and ATI RS480/482 chipset incompatibilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I've not been able to reproduce this problem on the one ATI RS48x system that I have here. As such, no bug is currently open for this problem, and no fix is in progress.
Well, if you want to trade computers, I can give you my shipping address. I assure you, you'll be able to reproduce it on mine!

Seriously: what will it take to get info to you about this? If it's a hard lock-up, as others seem to suggest, I assume that it wouldn't be possible to telnet in from another machine on the home network and run a bug report? Does a bug report run after re-boot give any useful info at all?

Is there any idea amongst either users or Nvidia staff how widespread the issue is? Is it happening on most boxes with this configuration, or is it more a fluke on an unlucky few?

To be honest, I find it really dispiriting to have splashed out on this shiny new computer, only to find that I have to tread on eggshells and say 15 Hail Marys in hopes that the software that's meant to run it won't crash it in the middle of something important. If I can help, I certainly will try. But I'd definitely be minded to beg Nvidia to look into it closely. There can't be a terribly small number of people with this configuration, as certainly mine's a well-marketed mass produced box, and ATI are pretty wide-spread; it can't be good for anyone, including Nvidia.
doctor-frog is offline   Reply With Quote