View Single Post
Old 04-16-06, 01:45 PM   #75
Wicasta
Wicasta Lovelace

Send a message via ICQ to Wicasta Send a message via AIM to Wicasta
Cool Re: EverQuest 2 performance discussion thread

One of the most annoying things for me is that whenever I complain about performance issues in Everquest 2 some idiot tells me that I should tweak my performance settings or assumes that I'm running everything at the highest possible settings.

Look, just because EQ2 works fine on your computer does not mean that other people are not having problems, or that they're idiots who don't know how to tweak the settings. My wife and I have almost identical systems in the clockspeed and memory areas, and while I can barely run the game she has no problems at all.

I have a Pentium 4 processor running at 3.4gHz, with 1 met L2 cache and 2 gigs of RAM. I do not have a crap system. The main differences between my wife's computer and mind is that mine is a laptop and hers is a desktop.

My game settings have already been tweaked. My system has been tweaked to an incredible degree. And still, with a high-speed cable connection and over 1 gig of memory free while EQ2 is running, the game still plays like crap. If, as someone suggested, Sony has designed EQ2 with future video cards in mind, that's small consolation to those of us who'd like to play it today.

And before anyone can go analyzing me or my system, I should point out that my main character is level 42 and my secondary is 37. I am not a newcomer to EQ2. For a long time EQ2 played fine on my system. But in the past six months or so, I have noticed the game getting slower and slower with each succesive patch, eventually reaching the point where I am now, where I literally cannot play the game at even a modest framerate. This suggests that there is a programming problem. Something that Sony is doing that is nerfing the game.

If EQ2 works fine on your system, I'm happy for you. I think it's great. But don't pat the rest of us on the head if we're having problems. I contend that if we were to compare out systems and our settings, as my wife and I have done, you find no easy explanation as to why her system runs EQ2 so much better than mine. I suspect it has something to do with my video card, but my system is far from being a push-over.

I know how to tweak the settings, and I have done so. But at this point, there is simply nothing left to tweak.

- Wicasta Lovelace

- Amaranthine Guild
- Character List
Wicasta is offline   Reply With Quote