View Single Post
Old 04-18-06, 10:33 AM   #1
foxy123

Default Random freeze with 6200A

I have traded my Radeon 9550 for Inno3D nVidia 6200 card. The main reason was an allegedly better Linux support from nVidia. Unfortunately I feel a great disappointment from my purchase. As a matter of fact I do not blame nVidia for that. I have this notorious random freeze bug when X freezes but everything including mouse pointer continue working. I can connect over ssh from my laptop and kill X.

However the freeze does not happen at once or just when I run OpenGL app. I tried glxgears and it is running fine. However after a while (sometimes a couple of minutes, sometimes 10-15 minutes) it freezes.

I tried to put in my xorg.conf the following:
Code:
Option "NvAGP" "0" (and "1" as well)
Option "RenderAccel" "Off"
Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "DFP,TV"
Option "NoRenderExtension" "Off"
Option "Accel" "Off"
Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" “Off”
But it did not help.

The most interesting thing for me is that I had exactly the same problem with Radeon 9550. So I've got a feeling that it maybe something wrong with my motherboard and its AGP slot in particular. I have MSI KT6V-LSR (VIA® KT600 Chipset) with Athlon XP 2200+ and 768 MB DDR memory.

To get rid of this problem with ATI card I did the following:
- disable fast-write (both in BIOS and just in case in xorg.conf)
- downgraded APG from x8 to x4 (in xorg.conf as my BIOS does not have such an option)
- and increased the APG voltage.

I wonder if I can do the same thing with nVidia in xorg.conf. Does anyone know the options for that? The only thing I am not sure with is AGP as it says in the spec that my card supports only x8, not x4. So I am not sure if I can try to downgrade it from x8 to x4.

Any comments and help will be highly appreciated.

BTW, I am running Ubuntu Breezy.
foxy123 is offline   Reply With Quote