View Single Post
Old 04-23-06, 03:17 PM   #1
Vladmere

Angry FC5 8756 drivers NVIDIA GO 5700FX 128MB, P4 3Ghz Alienware Laptop

I read the sticky, I tried what it said... I have actually completely re-installed fedora more times than I can count at this point. I have tried 3rd party drivers (I got a metallic brown screen after the installation, if someone knows how to fix that i'll use the 3rd party), I've tried the NVIDIA drivers. I've updated my kernel numerous times, i've tried downloading the sdk and sources first, then using yum update, tried yum update first then sources, then yum update sources, actually gotten it to work once, but it gave me the metallic brown screen again.

I got NVIDIA drivers to work by going into my original kernel, not the updated one, then installing it from there, it then gave me the metallic brown screen of blinding white light (if you've seen it you know what i'm talking about). I want to run doom 3 in linux, otherwise I really wouldn't bother, but I get like 192fps on glxgears with the current setup (wtf?). Does anyone know anything that might work? I've tried lvnia or whatever it's called using yum, it's the only one i've gotten to work by just following given instructions, and it gives me the brown screen.

I'd love to give you logs for all of these but I don't have any for all the times I've whiped my hardrive, I've attached the current one. Right now I ran the instructions EXACTLY as stated in the sticky. I then had to re-direct NVIDIA driver to the location of the kernel, I ran "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8756-pkg1.run --kernel-source-path /usr/src/kernels/2.6.16-1.2096_FC5-i686" after doing init 3 in a terminal, then having to do ctrl alt F1 because for some reason unless I do that it says i'm still running X even though I'm in a terminal. The drivers compile completely. It then gives an error saying:

"ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'. This happens most
frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or
improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs
from the one used to build the target kernel, or if a driver such as
rivafb/nvidiafb is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from
obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s).

Please see the log entries 'Kernel module load error' and 'Kernel
messages' at the end of the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for
more information."

I've searched the heck out of the forums, so if I missed something I'm sorry but I haven't seen anything dealing with this on the forums or google. Any ideas?
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-installer.log (23.8 KB, 131 views)
Vladmere is offline   Reply With Quote