View Single Post
Old 04-25-06, 04:30 PM   #26
Kevin-B

Default Re: Suspend/Hibernate - does it work for you?

Suspend Method: Suspend-to-disk (Suspend2), Suspend-to-ram.
Worked?: Suspend-to-disk: yes, Suspend-to-ram: no.
SW setup: 8756 driver, Fedora Core 4, 2.6.16-1.2069_FC4 kernel
(Note I used kernel-2.6.16-1.2069_1.rhfc4.cubbi_swsusp2 when trying suspend2)
Hardware: NVidia nForce4, Geforce 6600, ASUS A8N-E, Athlon 64 3700+
Notes:

Although Suspend-to-disk worked, resuming is not much faster than booting from scratch. As such, I'm more interested in getting Suspend-to-ram working.

My suspend-to-ram script switches to vt1, stops the network, syncs the disk and then suspends via "echo mem > /sys/power/state". When resuming after the suspend, it syncs the disk again, unloads / reloads certain kernel modules, and restarts the network. (The script contains a line which switches back to vt7, but it's currently commented out.)

When I do switch back to vt7 (manually), the screen goes black, and the machine hangs. I've disabled AGP on the kernel boot line, and have played around with the various NvAGP settings in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. I've also played around with vbetool and and the various acpi_sleep boot time options described in the Documentation/power/video.txt (in the kernel sources). So far, I haven't found a way to restore the X session on vt7.

The other problem that I've noticed with the resume is that the machines seems to hang for a period of 10-20 seconds just after resuming. I think this is due to a problem with the SATA driver. I see the following messages in /var/log/messages:

ATA: abnormal status 0x80 on port 0x967
ATA: abnormal status 0x80 on port 0x967
ATA: abnormal status 0x80 on port 0x9E7
ATA: abnormal status 0x80 on port 0x9E7
ata4: command 0xea timeout, stat 0x50 host_stat 0x0

After a short delay (that 10-20 seconds that I mentioned earlier), the kernel does manage to restore access to the SATA drives and then they behave normally afterward. I don't think the problem with the SATA drives has any bearing on the video not being restored, but if anyone knows of a fix for this problem, I'd like to hear about it.

Kevin
Kevin-B is offline   Reply With Quote