View Single Post
Old 05-01-06, 07:35 AM   #1
zisper

Default GeForce3 Ti 500, DVI, Ubuntu-Dapper, Driver 8756

Hi;

I've been struggling with getting the nvidia drivers working on my machine. Graphics card is a GeForce3 Ti 500, I'm hooking up to my monitor via the DVI connection. I'm running Dapper Ubuntu (which I'm new to, was on gentoo....) and the latest'n'greatest nvidia driver. Unfortunately it causes my machine to basically lock up (the RSEIUB trick still works, but Ctrl-Alt-Del or Ctrl-Alt-Backspace don't.).
As a little background, I've been messing around with my xorg.conf file and have noticed that my monitor EDID detection only works if the ddc module is disabled. I've also tried various settings with ignoring the EDID info and specificying a modeline etc for the monitor, all without success. When EDID detection isn't working I also get these errors:
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to use mode "1280x1024" for DFP-0; cannot compute
(WW) NVIDIA(0): backend DFP timings (no EDID).

I've attached my xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log files (taken with --logverbose 5). SInce I'm using the precompiled ubuntu modules I haven't got nvidia-bug-report.log file. If there's nothing obviously wrong then I guess compiling the module against my current kernel will be the next step. (Though I switched to Ubuntu to try and avoid doing that kind of thing anymore!)
Ah, it's all working fine with the nv driver too btw. (Well, aside from no GL, etc) Any help apprecieted, it's been very annoying.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Broken_Xorg.log.txt (18.0 KB, 155 views)
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (4.5 KB, 171 views)
zisper is offline   Reply With Quote