View Single Post
Old 05-05-06, 04:41 PM   #1
[DK]-E

Default nForce Audio Driver problems

Hi

I have lurked this forum for a while after I installed FC5 on my ABiT NF7-S v2.0, and have just now a couple problems that I couldn't search my way to solutions on this forum or google.

But first I thought i would share my experience with installing the nforce linux driver.
I'm using the oss forcedeth as nic driver after reading this thread: nvnet vs forcedeth.

Reason for installing the official Nvidia nForce audio driver is: I couldn't get spdif out and clone channels to work with the oss snd_intel8x0 driver.

So onto installing the audio driver, I followed wang's instructions from this thread but I got an error stating that I was missing the kernel sources for (2096_FC5) so i fired up yum extender and search and installed the required packages (kernel-devel). Then the installer error out with an error about my CC enviroment variable wasn't set correctly, this time since I was in the prompt anyways i fired up yum again but from the commandline. (I'm no linux guru, i got this tip from #fedora on FreeNode)
Code:
yum install gcc
And this time the install completes, and after a reboot. I tested with noatun and sound comes out of the spdif and it's default cloned channels

Everything is fine for about 30 seconds, then bam the music stops and after a while this pops up :

(Image text incase it dissappears: "Sound server fatal error: cpu overload, aborting").
But according to top only 2-3 % of the cpu is used, and that's mainly by "artsd".

My machine consists of the following hardware:
AMD XP 3200+ Barton
1 GB DDR400
ABiT NF7-S v2.0
2 x 300 GB Maxtor S-ATA not in raid.
OS installed is FC5 updated to kernel 2096_FC5.

I think it might relate to my problems stopping the alsa layer + snd_intel8x0 (do I want to stop the alsa layer?)
Code:
[root@ bin]# lsmod | grep 8x0
snd_intel8x0           30301  0
snd_ac97_codec         83937  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_pcm                76869  3 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd                    50501  9 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
snd_page_alloc         10441  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
wang from the other nvsound thread has alot of extra code in his modprobe.conf, or it seems extra to me.
But since I'm very new to linux I would like a very hands on solution that dosen't require several years of linux experience.

Also sometimes the sound crackles, how can this happen on a digital lineout?

I've attached my install log, bug report log and my modprobe.conf for more indeepth info for the gurus.

Thanks in advance guys

-E

PS. If you guys give nice responses this thread might just pop up on top when searching
PPS. Dang, all that time used and I end up posting in the wrong subforum, a mod please move me to NVIDIA Linux Forum because that would seem more relevant for this thread. Again thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-nforce-installer.log (782 Bytes, 159 views)
File Type: log nforce-bug-report.log (67.8 KB, 158 views)
File Type: txt modprobe.conf.txt (357 Bytes, 138 views)
[DK]-E is offline   Reply With Quote