Thread: Dual monitors
View Single Post
Old 05-10-06, 01:19 AM   #1
AdamWG

Default Dual monitors

Hi all,

I've just ordered myself a flashy new Athlon64 X2 system with an nVidia video card, since my current FX5200 has served my quite well. I run dual monitors, and currently I use the nvidia driver and the TwinView features to acheive this. It works quite nicely. This is all under Linux.

However, on my new system, I'd like to make the switch to FreeBSD. Unfortunately, I've noticed that there's no 64-bit nvidia driver for FreeBSD, and that it doesn't appear that one is on the way any time soon. Now, I can live without 3D acceleration. It's a nice feature to have, but I don't use it much. So, using the nv driver is certainly not out of the question.

My question is: can the nv driver on FreeBSD run two monitors off the same (dual-headed) card? This doesn't work under Linux (it says the requested entity is already in use), but I'm hoping that maybe something is different in the FreeBSD version of the driver.

If not, what is my best option? Use the i386 version of FreeBSD? I was really hoping to run a 64-bit OS on my new 64-bit machine, but dual monitors are not something I can sacrifice for this.

Cheers, all.
AdamWG is offline   Reply With Quote