View Single Post
Old 05-23-06, 10:57 AM   #1
Athena
spirit filled

Exclamation MMOs and boundries

Over this last weekend I learned a important lesson about MMOs and the need for boundries. In the MMO I play I have a very popular avatar and I get flited w/ on a regular basis. The issue came up when I responed to one in a more than normal way. We got heavy into cybering and even shared our real E-mail and IM addresses. This virtual relationship went on for some weeks and then on day I was asked what am "I" doing right no not my avatar.

WOW. This did not feel right. Boundries where being crossed and it kind of freaked me out. I mean I was ok flirting and all in the game as my avatar but I was not looking for a real relationship outside of the game.

So a few days later during a long 3.5 hour chat I called it quites. This person was totally crushed seems they thought they had totally fallen in love w/ my avatar as a real person and was hoping to get together some day. Tons of crying and heart ache followed.

Has any one else ever crossed the virtual into the real in a game? Where you take things to personally and it startes to effect your real life? After this experience I have been more aware of my boundries in MMOs and have noticed how easy it is to let another playing "in" so to speak. I think it has to do w/ the feeling of safty you get from being on the net.

Well any stories or thoughts?