Re: how can i solve this? NV-CONTROL extension not found on this Display.
I did the following:
1. Installed nvidia-settings - which removed nvidia-glx (sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings).
2. Shutdown the X server (ctrl-alt-backspace).
3. gdm tried to restart the xserver and failed - nvidia module not found - doh!
4. Reinstlalled the nvidia-glx driver (sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx).
5. Logged in to the terminal
6. Stopped gdm (sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop).
7. Started the X server by hand (startx)
And, lo, I can now run nvidia-settings (Quake 4 too!).
As a test I shut down the X server again and restarted gdm (sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start).
Back to the problems with nvidia-settings and quake 4 - maybe it is to do with that display :93.0 - I don't know.
So, I expect that it is the change that were made to get compiz working in gnome that is hurting nvidia-settings.
I'll look into it a bit more a little later. I'd like to have wobbly windows and working nvidia-settings at the same time.
Anyone have any ideas how to approach this?