View Single Post
Old 06-23-06, 07:09 AM   #30
|MaguS|

Default Re: Best MMORPG for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnewhous
I have heard different things about the solo play on EQ2. Someone at Amazon said you have to party up to go on level increasing quests? Maybe someone can clarify.

Does EQ2 have the "role playing" or the "Thunderhammer" server for EQ2? I had a co-worker once who played EQ1 and he always played on the role playing server which is apparently where all the grown ups went to play. It was somewhat dubious whether it would continue because it was so unpopulated it barely broke even for Verant to maintain it. What really screwed things up is when they introduced the "thunderhammer" server, which cost twice as much per month but had a lot more treasure on it. The problem is that you could transfer an already existing character to Thunderhammer and back again, and all these munchkins started showing up on the role playing server which destroyed the integrity of the game.
Actually when you transfered to the Premium server on EQ Live you couldn't return with the unique items, they were stripped from you. I even think they stripped you of all droppable equipment on the transfer aswell (so you wouldn't ruin the economy).

But yes, EQ2 does have multiple Role-Play servers aswell as Player-vs-Player servers. While I don't know how far you can get by soloing, I know its possible to get to the 30s. It might take alot longer but its possible (you get XP bonus for grouping and the ability to take down higher end mobs offers better rewards), they don't restrict it (Just don't think you can take things that are 3+ levels higher then you). Thing is NO MMO should allow a player to go from 1 to 60 in my opinion, the point of playing a MMO is to actually interact with people, thats a fact if it wasn't then there would be no reason to make it online. MMOs are about community.