View Single Post
Old 07-14-06, 10:04 AM   #89
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Default Re: Prey Feedback Thread

Just finished Prey. I think it took me about 8 hours. Those 8 hours of SP would be more than money's worth for me and I even still haven't started on Multiprey. I loved the little radio talkshow segments throughout the game, it really gave you some kind of knowing that there was a normal earth planet down below, not just a texture in the background. I really liked this game, I'd give it something like 8.5/10. I will explain below why its barely a 9/10 game but very close. The point is it's a great FPS game that should be picked up by anyone receptive to the genre

REST OF POST IS FULL OF SPOILERS, DONT READ UNLESS YOU'VE FINISHED IT!!

What I liked about this game was the epic feel. The soundtrack, some of the locations, how the story and search for Jen was pushing you forward. Lategame, how furious the Tommy felt when I wanted revenge, the emotions when Jen died, the whole feeling of the aliens invading the former "safe haven", the canyon, tommy steering the sphere into the sun etc. - endgame really had an epic feel. The scene following the credits was a very nice touch as well.

The biggest critism I have of the game though ensues from the fact that the game is running the Doom3 engine because I think the limitations are based on the engine. On the good side Doom3 gives Prey really nice performance compared to how nice the visuals look. First and foremost I kind of missed som allies in the game, fighting along side you. Some more characters, more personalities and potential friendships. I was hoping so much that you would run into at least a couple of survivers from that planecrash mid-game, that would have been cool. I was also really hoping for a new engine in the Prey sequal but an expansion seems very probable unfortuntely. I don't know, some of you people might want the story to continue much sooner and you will have that with an expansion. I would just have preferred to wait several years for a whole new game, a whole new engine that could power an even more epic and large-scale experience.

The ending was really satisfactory though. I kept thinking "it could be the end now", but it just kept on going. A nice, finalizing, solid ending without any plotwholes or any really annoying pressing questions.

I really have my hopes up for Duke Nukem: Forever now. I think they can do it. They needed time with Prey, maybe they just need time with DNF as well?
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote