View Single Post
Old 07-19-06, 07:36 AM   #1
Nealie

Unhappy 6.1-Stable Freeze with 6600GT

I just installed a new 6600GT card in a new motherboard and all seems to go well until the system suddenly freezes, requiring a reboot. The mouse pointer still moves about but the system doesn't even respond to a ping. I can't work out anything special that I'm doign to cause a freeze as I can run 3d apps beforehand without a problem and it can freeze when I haven't run any 3d apps at all.

I'm running the latest -STABLE from 2006-07-19 and I installed it as specified in the documentation. I installed the nvidia-driver port with just the Linux option and recompiled the kernel without the agp and dri devices. uname reports: FreeBSD server.home 6.1-STABLE FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE #0: Wed Jul 19 11:19:16 CEST 2006 root@server.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SERVER i386

The motherboard is a brand new MSI K8T Neo2-f V2.0 which uses the VIA K8T800 PRO chipset and runs an Athlon 64 3500+ and 1GB of RAM.

I've had to resort to running the "nv" driver, which is less than optimal as I bought this graphics card specifically for 3d. Ah well, Google Earth doesn't work at the moment anyway.

If anyone has any ideas as to why my system is freezing, I'd be very grateful.
Nealie is offline   Reply With Quote