View Single Post
Old 07-28-06, 05:05 AM   #1
neonman

Default Strange 3d performance problem

I've got a very strange problem. When I just start World of Warcraft with the nvidia-kernel-1.0.8178-r3 drivers I get a very low FPS (~15-20), but when I change resolution (CTRL+ALT++/-) up and down a few times (going back to the original resolution afterwards) I get a MASSIVE fps boost (from before ~15 to like 40). But with any newer nvidia kernel module than that I can't do this "trick" any more, and the FPS is HORRID..

I used the old drivers for as long as I could, since they just worked, but now I'm forced to upgrade to a newer linux kernel due to some reiser4 related problems, and the old nvidia-kernel drivers won't compile with this new Linux version. But this isn't really the problem so.

Do anyone have ANY idea what could be causing this? Is it a problem with the nvidia drivers, cedega, or wow? And why does it work after switching resolution up and down a few times? (the number of times I have to switch res varies between every restart of cedega/wow, sometimes I can just change 1 res down and then back up again, and sometimes I have to cycle trough all resolutions a few times before it works).

Any help or even a tiny hint would be greately apreciated, thanks.

Edit: This is with a 6600GT pci-E card, MSI k8n mobo and a 3500+ amd64 (running in a 32bit env).
/ Jonas
neonman is offline   Reply With Quote