View Single Post
Old 07-29-06, 04:23 AM   #23
Original_PQ

Default Re: Opinions on driver license

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl
When you want your free driver, write it. Or setup your own video card manufacturing company that makes boards and gives free drivers with them.
I would do those things if I just could. I believe many other people would do that too. The problem is, it is extremely hard or impossible in the current situation. Why is nouveau not already having a somewhat working driver, even when there are FOSS drivers for BeOS that support even 3D in some sense?

I am almost (meaning not quite) wishing that the binary drivers would just die. It would put more pressure to develop FOSS drivers.

Yesterday I updated to Wine 0.9.18, and it froze my home computer totally. I snapped. I deleted every trace of the nvidia binary driver, and switched X.org to the free nv driver. I practically lost 3D-support. I lost the second head on my display card. Yet, I feel releaved. TV-card overlay works fine. Now I can update the kernel more often and more recent versions, as I know I can complain, if something breaks. Having a single illegal driver in the kernel prevented me from getting help and denied even the possibility to give anything back to the kernel community. And now I can use the latest X.org.

Unfortunately I cannot do that at work, because there I depend on 3D-acceleration.

I think I am going to take a look at the BeOS drivers to see how they do dual head. That feature is now the first on my wish list, although I fear I do not have what it takes to help it happen.

PS. The freeze I mentioned has happened before, and seems to be connected to versions of Wine and nvidia binaries. Complete freeze at the instant I launch any 3d-game via Wine. No logs, no error messages, nothing to debug on. And at the same time native 3d-games run perfectly. But this is off topic.
Original_PQ is offline   Reply With Quote