View Single Post
Old 03-30-03, 12:58 PM   #10
ChrisRay

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
So nVidia is just going to use 16-bit precision unless the application/game SPECIFICALLY calls for 24FP?

<HRRRRM!>

Do I EVEN want to ask if you think that all DX9 apps will call for 24FP by default or do you think they'll query the driver for a preference?

(Damn it, I just didn't want them to be able to wiggle their way out of this that easily!)

To be honest, I think it will depend upon the ap. It might be similar to vsync, "Aplication preference" And or always force 16 or always force 32 bit.

I really don't know.

I don't really know what to think of the scenerio right now, Do I believe 16 bit precision is enough for games of today and possibly tommorrow? ya I think 16 bit will be plenty,

Do I think this is good PR for Nvidia? No I do not, Nvidia is damned if they do and damned if they don't. I'm thankful that I'm in a situation where I can watch and see without tramatically being affected by whats to come.

in the end tho I think most vendors will opt to use 16 bit on both ATI and Nvidia cards, I have two reasons to believe this. Performance and negligable IQ increases, And Nvidia's influence in the gaming division right now.

Quote:
I sadly believe you're right...
That's why I'm proposing this approach
Not quite sure I follow here?

What exactly are you proposing?
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote