View Single Post
Old 07-31-06, 05:11 PM   #3
rko15

Default Re: freebsd6.1/i386 & 8762 driver

I just reinstalled freebsd-6.1-RELEASE-i386, making sure that in response to the prompt "Would you like to establish linux binary compatibility?" I chose "YES", and the package linux_base-8.8.0_14.tbz was installed. (I believe that I chose "YES" in the previous installation, but I reinstalled just to make sure.)

After rebooting, I gave the commands kldstat and cat /etc/rc.conf, obtaining the following output:

# kldstat
Id Refs Address Size Name
1 10 0xc0400000 691928 kernel
2 2 0xc0a92000 1aff0 linux.ko
3 1 0xc0aad000 4a43d0 nvidia.ko
4 1 0xc0f52000 58554 acpi.ko

# cat /etc/rc.conf
# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Mon Jul 31 04:36:50 2006
# Created: Mon Jul 31 04:36:50 2006
# Enable network daemons for user convenience.
# Please make all changes to this file, not to /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
# This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
linux_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
usbd_enable="YES"
compat5x_enable="YES"

Doesn't this mean that linux binary compatibility is established when the system boots?

In other words, isn't linux_base-8.8.0_14.tbz an appropriate substitute for linux_base-fc4 (I think your second underscore should be a hyphen), and doesn't linux_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf have the same effect as linux_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf?

(There is no option COMPAT_LINUX in the kernel configuration file /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC, which presumably was used to compile the kerenel produced by the installation program.)

I then ran the script of my previous post, and got exactly the same unsatisfactory result as before.

Before I try something else, I would like to see a reply to this post, and also a comment on the following error message resulting from the startx command:

NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidiactl (No such file or directory).

Is this why the nvidia kernel module could not be initialized? Are there any other nvidia device files?
rko15 is offline   Reply With Quote