View Single Post
Old 07-31-06, 06:23 PM   #33
acreal

Default Re: Opinions on driver license

First off, i would like to clarify something: i have nothing against NVIDIA, neither am i trying to get NVIdia release anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster
Now, I'm not arguing whether they should release their "IP" or not - as far as I'm concerned, it's theirs and the decision about whether to make it open or not is theirs alone.
Same here.

Quote:
But given that they have made the decision *not* to release it, they are giving us the next best thing: binary drivers that are of a pretty high standard, and a demonstrated commitment to supporting the changing face of Linux over time.
Again, i agree that their drivers are really good, but i can't honestly believe they "committed to change the face of Linux", except officially. It's still a good thing they realized open source OS users represents a market worth considering.

Quote:
See, what is "Linux"? Linux users have a bunch of kernel versions with slightly different driver interfaces, some with procfs and others with sysfs, static /dev versus devfs versus udev, various threading mechanisms, and X11Rx.y with all its changes as well. This is daunting for a hardware manufacturer contemplating building drivers, without even considering the *BSDs and Solaris that nVidia supports as well.
Well, i won't be crying for NVidia either.

Quote:
nVidia's fairly conservative approach to releasing drivers probably prevents me from having display foul-ups that could seriously kill my productivity!
I also prefer to see a slower release cycles than drivers released prematurely, but only because it concerns hardware drivers (and it is closed source), or any core components. But i don't really see this as an "NVidia advantage", many distributions do provide a stable environment over time (especially for core components).

Quote:
Testing Linux drivers must be a real nightmare, compared to (say) Microsoft with their relatively static driver interface and WHQL service.
Well, this may be a bit exaggerated considering NVidia claims 95% of their drivers are platform independent (though this is still plenty room for bugs).

Quote:
As was the case with the 2.6 kernel 4k stacks issue, nVidia *will* eventually come through with a high-performance driver that works nicely with X11R7.1. They are currently the only display hardware that I have that confidence in.
For sure they are very professional.

Quote:
And you can also bet that sometime down the track (X11R7.2?) a new breakage will occur and people on this site will be "whining" about nVidia's slowness to respond to it.
Well people always whine about what they're waiting for, even if they don't really know why. This is true for all software, whether closed or open source. And though breakages are much more common on open source OS, this is also the sign of rapid (and continued) development.
acreal is offline   Reply With Quote