View Single Post
Old 08-01-06, 07:22 AM   #35
acreal

Default Re: Opinions on driver license

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl
Then your requirements change. The newest OS release has features that your card does not yet support. I don't think you can request action from the card manufacturer when you have already bought something and your requirements change.
This is a good point in itself, but when the features the drivers does not support are available to another OS, this kinda gets people wondering, and whining.

Quote:
Have a look next year, when Vista is released. *a lot* of people will be left in the cold because it does not support their current hardware. They have to buy new hardware to run Vista. Are they entitled to whine because the card they bought already does not work with Vista?
No, they should be thankful when their manufacturer releases a new driver, and when it doesn't, they will have to buy new hardware that says "Vista" on the box. Even when the OS is still called Windows, a completely new version like Vista may require new drivers. Same when under the Linux OS name, a completely new X server is released.
Well, there really isn't any reason why your current video card wouldn't work with Vista. The "only" thing needed is driver porting, and i believe many companies will release drivers for hardware not "Vista certified".

Let me explain my point further.

I'm not a market expert by any means, but i know for sure people tend to identify to specific brands of hardware (CPU, MB, Memory, GPU, ...), and that the satisfaction factor is determinant, in that people buying brand X and being happy with the product and support won't go around and check another brand on their next buy out, and so won't be able to compare or even realize brand Y is good too. This may seem futile, but i really do think fidelity is a big word in the computer hardware market.

Now pick a Vista user, seeing everyone unable to install Vista because of unsupported hardware, who reaches to his GPU manufacturer website just to see "his" company provided drivers for his (not so new) card. This user is able to install Vista right on without upgrading his GPU. To the company, the work (and money) they put in porting their drivers was used to increase consumer satisfaction. For his next acquisition, this user may (and probably will) be influenced by his good experience, whatever his choice will be.

If you wanna know more about the customer psychology, please buy a copy my book at...

Quote:
Having Linux drivers does not entitle you to continued support of bleeding-edge features. I think it is already very commendable that Linux kernel releases are tracked so closely by driver releases and patches, and you cannot expect the same for the much larger changes required by new X servers with modified driver interface.

And it is not even that nvidia have told us they are not going to support new X servers, it just takes some time. Another company might have left you in the cold at the time XF86 was replaced by Xorg.
Well, this just would have been a bad move for them. This is not all to say "they don't have to", they may also want to. And they do, they wanna keep their "Industry recognized leader in Linux driver quality, stability, compatibility and support" image. To keep this image they have to keep up with the environment. This is important for them now that countries and administrations are considering FOSS as an alternative, and investigate the possibility of larges migrations (and also because many people just open source OS these days).
acreal is offline   Reply With Quote