View Single Post
Old 08-01-06, 05:16 PM   #38
pierrec

Default Re: Opinions on driver license

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl
I don't think so. You buy a card, and at that time you investigate the market. You have some OS and you look if the card supports it and to what level.
Then your requirements change. The newest OS release has features that your card does not yet support. I don't think you can request action from the card manufacturer when you have already bought something and your requirements change.
You misunderstood what I said. if I get a card today, of course I don't expect it to run tomorrow's software. Vista is a pig, but if Vista expect some super-duper video card and my Geforce MX200 doesn't support it, then that's fine.

However, when I get a card today, I would like very much to get today's features on Linux (or FreeBSD or whatever) as well as Windows, *and* I expect it to keep that same set of features as Linux evolves. With closed-source drivers, nothing is less certain: each time you get a new video card, it's a toss of the dice whether it'll work well or not under Linux. And each time you upgrade the kernel, there's a fair chance that the driver won't build anymore. And if you upgrade the driver, there's a good chance it'll break something that used to work too.

In Windows, the nVidia driver almost always works, and keeps working when Microsoft puts out updates. For some reason or other, unlike Linux users, Windows users are considered *users*, and users never put up with the kind of crap we do. nVidia and ATI/AMD know that, so they put the man/hours in the Windows driver and let the F/OSS folks marinade. They do just enough non-windows support so they can claim they do Linux too, but no more. And since they've got the 3D-graphics-under-Linux market pretty much cornered, they have no incentive to do more. That's why people whine.
pierrec is offline   Reply With Quote