View Single Post
Old 08-04-06, 11:56 PM   #1
StevenChamberla

Default Crashing when SMP enabled

Hi, the following bug might not even be caused by the nvidia driver, but I currently have no reliable way to determine whether the nvidia driver is or is not at fault.

I've been trying for over a week now to use my new dual-core Athlon properly in Linux. Everything seems okay in a uniprocessor kernel, but when I enable support for SMP, xorg almost always crashes the system hard. No log files are written to, and sshd becomes unreachable so I cannot determine any details after a crash.

What is most awkward is that when xorg crashes, I am unable to switch VT, reboot with ctrl-alt-delete, or even sync the disks with the magic SysRq key; therefore I am having to power cycle which has caused frequent filesystem corruption and has even resulted in my two oldest IDE drives dying after repeated spinning up/down.

First of all, I think the most important thing to mention is that the 'nv' driver (not 'nvidia') will not work at all, either on uniprocessor or SMP kernels. The display becomes garbled (mostly green lines with flashing areas) and then the kernel will sometimes crash. If someone could help me get the 'nv' driver working, I could establish for definite whether the 'nvidia' module is definitely at fault.

I have tried kernels 2.6.16, 2.6.17, 2.6.17.6, 2.6.17.7 with no success. I always use the reiser4 patch otherwise I cannot mount my root partition to test it. I have tried with and without Ingo's realtime-preempt patches. I have only tried nvidia driver version 1.0-8762 but I'm under the impression that an earlier version will not compile under these kernels. I have tried resetting my kernel config to the 'defaults' by running 'make menuconfig' without a .config present, and then enabling the bare minimum to get the system to start up.

I run a 'make clean && make && make install' in the extracted nvidia kernel module source directory and start xorg using the 'nvidia' driver. In a uniprocessor kernel (with additional no kernel options), things seem to work perfectly, but if SMP is enabled I most often see the left-hand display (CRT, VGA) display all white and the right-hand display (LCD, DVI) all black.

I have tried booting the SMP kernel using options "noacpi acpi=off pci=noapic irqpoll" and I do see the nVidia logo but both displays enter standby straight after and the system locks up. (I also tried the option "noapic" also, but something then crashes the kernel before X loads; the name of the offending moduie disappears off the top of the screen and I am unable to then Shift-PageUp.)

Since my graphics card uses PCI-Express, I don't know if the "NvAGP" option has any effect. However, I have tried setting the value to zero to no effect, although with this setting I can see "NvAGP" set as "3" in /proc/driver/nvidia/registry

Finally I'll just describe the hardware: Athlon 64 X2 4400+, Asus A8N-SLI (tried upgrading to latest BIOS), XFX GeForce 6600 GT (PCI-Express).

Any help will be very much appreciated. Please understand that each time I try anything different I risk filesystem corruption since the system crashes with disks mounted rw and I am left unable to sync. I don't know of a way around this.

Note: Had to split nvidia-bug-report.log into two files because of this error
"Your file of 159.5 KB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 100.0 KB for this filetype."

Thank you all!
--
Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report-part1.log (100.0 KB, 196 views)
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report-part2.log (59.5 KB, 296 views)
StevenChamberla is offline   Reply With Quote