View Single Post
Old 08-04-06, 11:39 PM   #1
notarat

Default X Hangs after installation of NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8762-pkg1

I performed a search and didn't find anything so thought I'd post a new thread. If my search terms were bad and a thread about this exists, be gentle, k?

I'm using the following applicable hardware/software:

DFI Lanparty SLI mobo
(2) Asus 7600GS Silent cards PCI-Express cards
Using Fresh installation of Kubuntu 6.01 32 bit version (Kernel 2.6.15-26-386)

I started by referencing the section below for installation, located at:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490
Debian GNU/Linux or Ubuntu with Xorg 7.x

If you wish to install the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver on a Debian GNU/Linux or Ubuntu system that ships with Xorg 7.x, please ensure that your system meets the following requirements:

* development tools like make and gcc are installed
* the linux-headers package matching the installed Linux kernel is installed
* the pkg-config and xserver-xorg-dev packages are installed
* the nvidia-glx package has been uninstalled with the --purge option and the file /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx does not exist.

If you use Ubuntu, please also ensure that the linux-restricted-modules packages have been uninstalled.

After initial(completely fresh) installation of the OS, I performed the updates requested by the Adept package manager and then I removed the linux-restricted-modules by using Adept to request un-installation of the restricted modules.

I exited KDE to init 3 (Console login) and ran the install command sh NV(TAB)

Accepted the license

Answered Yes to the prompts that followed until I received an error that there were no kernel tree files.

Copied my backup xorg.conf file back and started X again.

Started Adept and reinstalled the restricted modules I removed earlier and logged out back to init 3

Restarted the installation process

Install process went all the way through creating and compiling my kernel module, and I allowed the script to modify my xorg.conf to load the "nvidia" driver.

I ran glxinfo and Direct Rendering = Yes

I'd say it "seems" to be working, but it only "seems" that way. After I reboot, X Hangs and I am stuck on the Kubuntu loading screen.

If I perform a CTRL-ALT-F1 and login to the console and restore the driver to "nv", I can boot into X fine.

If I refer to the information in Appendix W of the Readme and perform an lspci query I see the following:

/sbin$ lspci | grep -i vga
0000:04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0392 (rev a1)
0000:05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0392 (rev a1)

/sbin$ lspci -t
-[00]-+-00.0
+-01.0
+-01.1
+-02.0
+-02.1
+-06.0
+-08.0
+-09.0-[01]--+-07.0
| +-07.1
| \-0a.0
+-0a.0
+-0b.0-[02]--
+-0c.0-[03]--
+-0d.0-[04]----00.0
+-0e.0-[05]----00.0
+-18.0
+-18.1
+-18.2
\-18.3

I have no idea if this is good or bad so I thought I'd include it here.

Also enclosed are the compressed files from my bug report script, the nvidia installer log and the xorg log.

I'm hoping that I won't have to upgrade to a newer kernel in order to recognize my cards because I have never been able to get a kernel upgrade to work.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Logs.zip (39.8 KB, 130 views)
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote