View Single Post
Old 08-12-06, 06:56 PM   #12
StevenChamberla

Default Re: Crashing when SMP enabled

[quote=netllama]I don't see anything attached to your lastest post[quote]
Oops, sorry, I forgot to attach it, so here it is.

After a careful read-through, I just stumbled upon this... it's coming from the 'vesa' driver, should I be worried?
Code:
(WW) VESA(0): Bad V_BIOS checksum
The 'dmesg' is quite messy for this kernel, with warnings from the realtime-preempt code and a timer-related bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Perhaps the system is overheating?
CPU temp 50*C, and is never higher than this
Motherboard temp. stays below 40*C
I will need to boot into Windows to check the GPU temperature but I believe it stays between 40-60*C which I hope is normal.

Quote:
Perhaps you have faulty hardware?
I never had problems until I changed the Athlon64 chip for a brand-new Athlon64 X2... the rest is all less than one year old, so I really hope it's not a hardware fault.

Quote:
Perhaps the BIOS has a bug?
When I first experienced the crash starting the 'nvidia' driver it was using the BIOS as shipped, I since flashed it with the latest currently available.

Quote:
Setting up a serial console would be a good first step to track down any kernel messages that are generated when the system hangs.
Oh, I will try this as soon as I can. For this I'll need to find a long serial cable...

Quote:
You really need to ensure that the system is stable without X before trying to debug a more complex setup that includes X.
The easiest way to crash it before was to set a kernel or Xorg compile going. My system crashed more than 10 times(!) under 2.6.17 trying to run a compile for 2.6.14. Now under 2.6.14-rt22 with SMP enabled I can run X under the 'vesa' driver and compile kernels and Xorg in one go. I still only have 2 hours' uptime so I guess it's too soon to be sure.

For now I think I'll build all the kernels I can from 2.6.12 to 2.6.17, and if my system manages to do that without crashing I can be more confident that this kernel is stable when not running the 'nvidia' driver. And if it is somehow a hardware bug, maybe I'll get lucky with the right combination of kernel/options/driver...
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report-part1.log (100.0 KB, 178 views)
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report-part2.log (45.2 KB, 173 views)
StevenChamberla is offline   Reply With Quote