StevenChamberla

Default Re: Crashing when SMP enabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaXXoN
Is it possible to determine the worst case latency (i.e. in micro
or milliseconds) with jackd? Otherwise "cyclictest" gives some
accurate numbers, please check
http://www.tglx.de/projects/misc/cyclictest/
I'm trying to use this tool now but the value for 'Max' just rapidly increases, into 6 figures and beyond. I didn't find any documentation but I'm guessing it's not supposed to do that.

Luckily I've got 2.6.17-rt8 to work for now, and it hasn't crashed yet after several minutes, which is good going. I'm using 'noirqbalancer pci=conf1 idle=poll' as boot options but I haven't tried this exact build without those options.

I guess whatever problems I've had getting the 'nvidia' driver working on older kernels, probably don't matter if this kernel does everything properly.

The only bad thing about this kernel are the occaisional latencies. jackd suffers xruns coinciding with heavy disk access (eg. running 'sync'). The realtime patch for the 'nvidia' patch is probably working, and although 'glxgears' slows things down a lot it doesn't seem to trigger any of these latencies.

Quote:
So if you have high latencies even if not using any 3D applications, then i suspect some kind of hardware problem.
With my previous setup the 'nvidia' driver may have been causing some of the latencies but now I'm only suspicious of the disk controller (an old Compaq SCSI RAID controller with the 'cpqarray' kernel driver) or maybe just a configuration issue as this is a fresh Linux install.

I triggered a 4000 millisecond xrun by running 'sync' but I haven't been able to repeat that. If I'm not doing anything on the machine I don't get any xruns, but setting a compile going can cause xruns of 10 to 500 millseconds, so I'll investigate that.

Quote:
If you have a PCI IDE controller laying around, you may try that one
instead of the on-board nforce4 IDE controller, just to check if it makes
a difference.
I don't actually use IDE disks now, or SATA. I have a CD-ROM drive on the second IDE channel but other than that they're not used. SATA is disabled in the BIOS.
StevenChamberla is offline   Reply With Quote