View Single Post
Old 08-15-06, 04:05 AM   #19
gilboa
Linux addict...

Default Re: X11R7.1 about to enter FC5-updates. Driver support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismortimore
None of what you've said is a problem with nvidia, it is a problem with your distros.
-No- it's not.

Quote:
I know for a fact that Gentoo have held back moving xorg-7.1 to stable on x86 and x86_64 because of the nvidia and ati issues, because they realise that if everyone upgrades, the forums will get flooded with the same old "My xorg doesn't work with nvidia driver 1.0-8762". They left the option to upgrade to xorg-7.1 down to each user.
... and this is stupid mistake which sends the -wrong- signal to the community. Open source should -not- care about non-open source software. (Be that drivers and user-land applications).

Tell me, what if nVidia decides to stop producing graphics drivers for Linux: Are you seriously claiming that all major distro should stop using newer kernels and X.org's until the end of time?

Quote:
Yes, nvidia have taken their time, but given what I've heard about what the 9xxx series has in store, it will be worth it.
It is well within their rights not to produce any Linux drivers -whatsoever-.
It doesn't change the fact that nVidia -should- have release 7.1 drivers upon release.

Quote:
Remember, it is the distros responsibility to provide a stable system with the current set of drivers available for ALL hardware.
-Far-, far, far, from it.
You seem to have little, if any, understanding on what OSS is all about.
Creating a stable environment for proprietary -close-source- drivers is -far- from being the OSS movement goal.
I won't be all that surprised, if Linux (as in the Linux kernel) will end up as an GPL-only eco-system. (Read: No support what-so-ever for non-GPL modules)

Quote:
And remember this, nvidia is a business. The majority of their money and customers are windows based, linux is secondary. They make either nearly no or actually no money from supporting linux, and only good will is making them do it.
nVidia is open for alternative OSs. Which is -very- welcome.
However, claiming that nVidia doesn't get anything back in return is not entirely true: AFAIK both HP and SUN are responsible for financing the SLI support in both Linux and Solaris. *
As I said, I appreciate nVidia's efforts in releasing stable 3D environment for Linux, BSD and Solaris. However, this doesn't change the fact that nVidia did drop the ball on this one.

Quote:
If you threaten, they might just pull the whole operation and put up a giant "Sod you Linux users, you ungrateful bunch of people".
It's well within their right.
However:
A. nVidia has a vested interest in keeping Linux/BSD/Solaris alive. Without an active competition, Microsoft just might decide to charge 100,000 per DDK license and 1$ per driver download.
B. Big-name nVidia clients have a vested interest in keeping Linux/BSD/Solaris alive. (IBM, Sun, HP) *
C. AFAIK, nVidia's in-house development is mostly done on Linux.
D. Linux/BSD/what-ever poeple tend to sit in high IT positions. If anything, nVidia is selling more GPUs for Windows machines due to thier Linux/BSD/Solaris support.
E. I doubt that this forum chatter has too much influence on nVidia.

Quote:
NOTE: I'm not affiliated with nvidia, I just like them.
So am I.
As I said, this should change the fact that nVidia drop the ball on this one.

Gilboa

* I'm writing this on an HP xw9300 with SLI support (currently in-active) - AFAIK, HP 'helped' nVidia release SLI drivers just for this machine. (to make it Linux certified). In return, I bought a number of these machines. (And hopefully, I'll get a number of xw9400 workstations later this year)
LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F19/x86_64.