View Single Post
Old 04-02-03, 07:37 AM   #86
jbirney

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
I was only being semi-serious with my statement. I defintely don't believe ATI paper launching the r9600 and r9200 is doing anyone a service. if you can even call it a paper launch, since there have been no benchmarks. I heard there were going to be benchmarks today....so far there is nothing.
Paper launches are becoming the norm. Also if my source is correct some sites did have 9600 but were not allowed to post benchmark scores as the clock speed was not finalized. Remember back when R300 was first offically benchmarked? Remember how they tried to guess the performance of the 9500/pros (using downclocked boards, or boards with memory missing)? Remember how far off they were? Its my guess that ATI wanted to avoid all of that and wait till they had the final cards speced before allowing bechmarks out on them. Again big guess on my part.

BTW you really did not epect to see benchmarks on April 1st did you?

Quote:
but the point of my post was more to poke fun at CaptainBeige. he said ATI wasn't "standing still" while nvidia pushed DX9 to the mainstream. and yet I don't think that paper launching said cards by a month is anything but standing still. with no benchmarks, that probably means cards won't ship for a few weeks after benchmarks appear, get my drift? in other words, even if benchmarks are released today, we still have a wait ahead of us.
Today ATI annouces that the 9800 cards are shipping which is within the 30day window they promissed on the 9800s.
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5164

Now if the above is correct the 9200/9600 should ship before the end of this month. Which puts them on par or close when you can buy a FX5200/5600.

Aslo ATI has said that they will have a Rv350 version prices at the $100 MSRP to combat the DX9 for $79 campain. So they are not really standing still
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote