View Single Post
Old 08-23-06, 07:07 AM   #5
andr01d

Default SOLVED! Re: GF5500 Blank screen& no response w/ debian 2.6.8-2 & Xorg 7.0 & 1.0.8762

Sorry for the bump.

The issue was RESOLVED!

The problem was as follows.

Apparently /usr/src/linux was symlinked to the wrong directory of kernel-headers!
I was running 2.6.8-2 & the kernel headers that /usr/src/linux linked to were from 2.6.15-1!

What I did to resolve the issue:
1. Installed kernel 2.6.16-2-k7 (didnt upgrade before because I thought it was the thing that caused the problem).

2. Installed kernel headers for the kernel above. KERNEL HEADERS MUST MATCH KERNEL PRECISELY!

3. Removed all Debian packages related to Nvidia.

4. Using the official nvidia installer - installed the drivers.

5. Started X! And it worked!

Commands to run:

apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.16-2-k7 linux-image-2.6.16-2-k7
cd /usr/src/ && rm -f linux && ln -s linux-headers-2.6.16-2-k7 linux
dpkg --purge `dpkg -l | grep ^nvidia | awk '{print $2}'`
export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 && sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8762-pkg1.run
startx

PLEASE NOTE:
1. I'm pretty sure I could just install the nvdia packages back using apt-get & module-assistant. I just chose not to.

2. You will probably want to choose the kenel & headers that fit your architecture (I run Athlon XP 2500+, so it's k7 for me).

3. The "export CC..." was used because the kernel in question was compiled with gcc 4.0 and my default gcc is 4.1. If the gcc version doesn't match - Nvidia installer will be kind enough to notify you about it - so just use CC=/usr/bin/gcc-X.Y, where X.Y is the version of the gcc.

Thank you for your help!
Hope this helps anyone!

P.S: Dear NVIDIA team - i'd be more than glad if the installer would check if the headers version matches the kernel, could eliminate hours of debugging
andr01d is offline   Reply With Quote