View Single Post
Old 04-03-03, 09:52 AM   #105
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
I was only being semi-serious with my statement. I defintely don't believe ATI paper launching the r9600 and r9200 is doing anyone a service. if you can even call it a paper launch, since there have been no benchmarks. I heard there were going to be benchmarks today....so far there is nothing.

but the point of my post was more to poke fun at CaptainBeige. he said ATI wasn't "standing still" while nvidia pushed DX9 to the mainstream. and yet I don't think that paper launching said cards by a month is anything but standing still. with no benchmarks, that probably means cards won't ship for a few weeks after benchmarks appear, get my drift? in other words, even if benchmarks are released today, we still have a wait ahead of us.
r350's are shipping... and I am sure if you managed to wait over 6 months for the nv30 to actually get to the benchmarking table and another month or two before it actually shipped.. albeit in limited quantities... you can surely wait till the end of the month for the cards in question to zoom off the shelves...

also... interesting read concerning the programmability of the cards... usually the thread meanders on a 'mine is bigger than yours' line in reference to benchmarks...

the nv30 is more programmable... and no.. I highly doubt that the features supported can be used with playable framerates when they are implemented...

that is never the point though.. having a CORE that does what the nv30 does... it is a solid basis for developing more and more powerful products... that was nvidia's intention all along.. sure the card has some drawbacks from a performance standpoint and the PR hyped it to be something it does not appear it can be...

but the fact of the matter is that game devs like to work with a flexible product...

I do disagree with the statement that the r300 BARELY meets dx9 specs.. sure its PR numbers are less than the nv30's in some areas and it goes along with the spec'd limits in other areas... but the card MEETS and EXCEEDS the dx9 spec... perhaps not as much as the nv30.... but it is certainly not BARELY meeting the required specs...

also... yes... certain cards can emulate in software some stuff other cards can do... but the more software you use... the more resources you are using up as well... preferred programming protocol = most work with least code (ok... my motto lol... not representative of other programmers out there)... efficiency is key... of course... if everyone programmed specifically for the dx9 spec instead of individual cards this whole argument would be moot...

but by adopting and supporting the dx9 spec... companies have an obligation... ati currently is following the dx9 spec and in standard... non-optimized paths.... it is faster than the nv30... when teh nv30's OWN paths are used... then the nv30's performance is better...

personally... I do like industry accepted standards to be used... makes the work of everyone involved easier... case in point... game consoles... not many variables there...

the more variables you introduce... teh more work programmers have to do to test compatability... and then they will just say feck it... I will only work on such and such product and perhaps do some beta testing on this other product...

the only ones who lose out are consumers unless you happen to use the product the game dev is using... this is a very divisive strategy IMO... not one that should be encouraged...
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote