View Single Post
Old 08-24-06, 03:00 PM   #3
fhj52

Default Re: How can I get SPDIF with ALSA?

Okay, there's a little trick to it. Unfortunately for you et al I cannot give the specific setting but can tell you ALSA is pulling some, IMO, strange things: The AC97(IEC9whatever) is non-contiguous levels 0, 1, 2 ...
It looks like a some kind of volume control but it is not.
On my system(NV2200 & 2050 chipset), to get 5.1 SPDIF out, IIRC, I had to set the AC97 to 1.

Best thing to do is run
alsaconf
and let it configure everything (most likely there won't be sound... yet);
Then run
alsamixer
and set the PC SPEAKER and other volume controls to acceptable levels.
While there, try the first 'notch' for the IEC* as that might work on your system too.
IIRC, you have to restart alsa.

I that fails because the description is so bad, try Google and look for SPDIF and Mandrake. There is a post in the old MandrakeUser forum which provides basically the same info but in more detail.

Hope that helps...

c-ya

@andefeldt
BTW, I did the same thing you did: all the way down, all the way up, etc. It won't work that way. It's eiher the 'first' notch or 'third' notch, can't rem which. I cannot test here. My digital system is down so I have no connection for the onboard (digital) audio to use.

---------------------------------
System: BFG GTX260^2 graphics but has ** TERRIBLE BLINKING OS **
SuperMicro H8DCi+AMI BIOS;dual Opt'285;8GB;LSI 320-2x w/ 6xU320 Fuji' MAXs in RAID 10; 4xSATAII on LSI 3041E for backup. Multi-boot Mandriva Linux, openSUSE, WinXPx64 & Win2k-AS; Creative Audigy2-Digital audio.
Gigabyte GA-2CEWH & NVRAID are GONE ... Finally!!
fhj52 is offline   Reply With Quote