View Single Post
Old 08-27-06, 08:44 PM   #33
fhj52

Default Re: Nvidia has open source drivers at nvidia.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUser
I'm don't understand why there is no support for Ubuntu and\or Debian .Ubuntu is quite popular distro, easy to install and used by lots of users due to this fact.And they're targeting for long life of their version 6.06 (declared to be supported for 6 years).So it about to be quite widely used and popular.
[snip]
The user base for ubuntu and kubuntu is tiny compared to Redhat, RHEL, Fedora, SUSE, SEL, openSUSE and all the others that are clones of those ( CentOS, Scientific Linux, Mandr*, etc...) and can probably use the same RPMs.
NV made a choice to support the largest group of people possible with the least amount of effort.

I seriously doubt that 6.0 is going to make it. I used 5.04 Hoary and it was far, far better. I really hoped that 6.06.1 w/b the last(as in permanent) distro for me but it is too much trouble = unstable, buggy = as it is.
In particular, the (k)ubuntu partitioner LOST =destroyed= 6GB of my data because it is too S.T.U.P.I.D to make a simple deletion and not get confused. Fdisk has never been very good but that is unacceptable implementation. ...
Once I get fixed, as much as I can, of what they broke, it is being removed and it will be a very, very long time before I ever try *untu again.

NV made the correct choice even if they did it the wrong way.

---------------------------------
System: BFG GTX260^2 graphics but has ** TERRIBLE BLINKING OS **
SuperMicro H8DCi+AMI BIOS;dual Opt'285;8GB;LSI 320-2x w/ 6xU320 Fuji' MAXs in RAID 10; 4xSATAII on LSI 3041E for backup. Multi-boot Mandriva Linux, openSUSE, WinXPx64 & Win2k-AS; Creative Audigy2-Digital audio.
Gigabyte GA-2CEWH & NVRAID are GONE ... Finally!!
fhj52 is offline   Reply With Quote