View Single Post
Old 09-02-06, 01:37 PM   #1
klr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8
Default FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE & nvidia-driver: A couple of issues.

Hi all,

I've been facing two annoying problems that regard the usage of nvidia-driver.

Before anything else, I'm using

nvidia0: <GeForce 7800 GT> port 0xe800-0xe87f mem 0xcf000000-0xcfffffff,0xd0000000-0xdfffffff,0xce000000-0xceffffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci4

The first problem is a very odd one. It is related to my Logitech G5 USB mouse. Prior to acquiring this mouse, I had never faced what I'm about to describe.

When I'm playing any 3D game that I care to play (rtcw, rtcw:et, warsow), give or take 10 minutes the same will happen most of the times; The mouse freaks in the game, the keyboard input gets corrupted (I can't type anything, either no output or wrong character output), and the mouse either stops responding (the lights are still on) or only accepts some input (like mouse2 but not mouse1).

I am describing this because this condition only happens while playing games. I can be using the mouse on the desktop for days and days and it will NEVER happen. This leads me to believe it's at least related to the nvidia driver.

This problem led me to update to 6.1-STABLE (I was on 6.0-RELEASE) yesterday, and after all the compiling and slashing, an even more interesting problem popped up.


My monitor is an Acer ALI1916W (19" widescreen). Prior to the update, the 1600x1024 resolution was fitting perfectly. However, after doing the upgrade (which included nvidia-driver), the display was unusable. About 20% of the graphical environment was invisible, because the image was too on the left. I spent hours and hours recompiling xorg, nvidia-driver, even rebuilding the kernel and trying different NvAGP values. At this point, trying to run any 3D game would result in Xorg dying and the box locking up on the console.

The resolution for the above problem was quite simple (so simple I didn't try it until after 8h ). Downgrading to nvidia-driver-1.0-8178 from December 2005 did the trick. (which was what I was using before)

What I would like to know is if it is a known problem (afterwards, I tried two more recent versions and on both my display was misaligned, only 1.0-8178 worked). I find it highly unlikely that all the latest revisions on the driver will fail on any widescreen at 1600x1024, because it's not so uncommon these days..

The mouse problem (that's most likely related to OpenGL) will be a tough one to kill, and I'm not very optimistic about someone having had the same problem and somehow fixing it. But I'd like to get some feedback about why my display on 19" widescreen @ 1600x1024 with any revision newer than 1.0-8178 doesn't work.
klr is offline   Reply With Quote