Text editor blows up the 8774 x86_64 driver. I didn't believe it at first either.
x86_64 Fedora Core 5 (kernel 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5)
AMD64 Athlon X2 4200+
Nvidia GeForce 6600 GT PCI-E
Steps to reproduce:
1. Install the Scite text editor (yum install scite)
2. Create one modestly large text file. The file I'm using is 22megs big. Each line in the file is 3000 to 4000 characters long.
3. Open the file in Scite.
4. Doom and disaster. If I start X from runlevel 3, the keyboard locks up and I have to log in over the network. If I run in runlevel 5, gdm restarts and reappears on the next virtual terminal. i.e. if X was virtual terminal 7, it's now on 8. If it was 8, it's now on 9, etc.
1. Opening the same text file in other GUI text editors (gedit, kate) does not produce this behaviour
2. Opening the same text file in scite while using the nv driver does not produce this behaviour. I'm using the nv driver for the time being.
3. All manner of other applications whether they be 2D or 3D work with no issue. Google Earth, web browsers, email clients, etc. I have not seen any other sign system instability.
4. Smaller files open without issue in scite. However, I have some 1meg files which also generate the problem.
5. I see the same behaviour in the 8762 release of the drivers.
Whatever the scintilla text editing component of scite is doing, it's causing the nvidia driver to break. Can anyone else reproduce this behaviour? Does it also occur on 32bit systems?