View Single Post
Old 09-04-06, 02:45 PM   #148
badchien

Default Re: first display on twinview

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
window managers, etc., shouldn't assume that the first "screen" reported via the extension is the highest priority one on which to place the login screen, etc.; they should really allow users to specify the "screen" priority/ordering.
I've tried specifying screen placement in KDE but it only gets me so far. I can put my panel and everything on my DVI monitor but the login dialog for KDM gets stuck on the crt, and certain informational messages/popups still come up on the crt. I have scripts that use xosd to display information, and they come up on the crt. I might be able to adjust the indent to move the xosd to the dvi, but if I switch modes and turn off the crt (which I do sometimes since I only leave on the crt when I need it) then it would be off the screen. Even if osd_cat had a screen argument, what would I use? I want the messages always on my DVI, but sometimes it is screen 1 and sometimes screen 2. In cases like this where the CRT (which is primary/first reported screen) is not always connected, it makes it much more difficult to specify screen placement. I pity laptop users because they are in the same boat with external crt's connected only some of the time.

On the other hand, if this issue were fixed/the DisplayPriority option implemented, and my DVI became the first screen reported, then all of the problems above would instantly be solved.
badchien is offline   Reply With Quote