View Single Post
Old 04-07-03, 01:20 AM   #19
nitromullet

Quote:
Originally posted by Idimmu
Hmm, everything I've read doesn't look to promising..

Well, the performance gain from upgrading from a 466 Celeron to a high end XP will be so high, any difference between a kt400 and nf2 chipset wouldn't really be noticed.

I think I've made my decision now
I think that you are probably right in terms of your percieved performance, but there are other things to consider that make this whole issue more complicated.

First of all, if you are going to run a dual boot box, you will probably absolutely love an nForce2 based motherboard under Windows. The Sound Storm audio on my Asus A7N8X Deluxe is so good that I haven't bothered to re-install my SB Audigy. On top of this, the board is ROCK STABLE, which I can not say about the KT333 based mother board that it replaced. On the other hand, you have all of the issues mentioned previously in this forum under Linux. So, it is serioulsy a real problem that we AMD/Linux users are faced with in regards to this AGP/GART problem, and the responses from nVidia are not exactly informative.

I personally opted for the nForce2 based board because it offers an excellent price/feature/performance ratio. Also, nVidia has a pretty good track record for supporting Linux and I don't think that they will let us down, but only time will tell.

Just my two cents to help make your decision a bit more difficult

-nitromullet
nitromullet is offline   Reply With Quote