Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-30-06, 11:32 AM   #1
tom1189

Default Cant install drivers Suse 10.1

Just put a 6800le in my Suse 10.1 box. I attempted at first to install the drivers via yast but after 10 minutes of "Adding Catalogue.." i gave up and decided to recompile the kernel. So i ensured all the relavant packages we're installed (gcc, make and the latest Kernel-source)
I switched into the virtual terminal, shut down the X server and changed directories to the location of the driver. When installing the driver i was first prompted with the Licensing agreement, when accepting a screen apeared with a green heading "Nvidia accelerated graphics driver for linux x86" below this the screen was blank, at which point nothing happend, and i was unable to do anything aside from restarting the machine with ctrl+alt+del.
Its driving me crazy, anyone have a clue whats going on?
tom1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-06, 08:31 PM   #2
fhj52

Default Re: Cant install drivers Suse 10.1

Yea, maybe ... which nVidia driver version?
8774 or the latest and least: 9625? (other?)
Which X : 6.9.x?

Try using 8774.
There's no special magic/trick to build; it should just work providing that you have the correct gcc and the correct source.

You can look at /var/log/nvidia* logs to see if the NV installer produced an error that is correctable by you.
( it should be: /var/log/nvidia-installer.log )

If there is something in X that is hanging around that should not be, try adding a 3 onto the end of the boot string so you will boot directly to init/runlevel 3.
Reboot and login as root.
cd to the dir where the NVIDIA* and make sure it is executable...
Execute it with -an(accepts the license and skips looking for the NON-existent precompiled interface).

If you get the same thing, try using it without ncurses( NVIDIA -A lists the Advanced options - one of them can use interface "none" ).

If it STILL does not run correctly, you need to post the appropriate files as specified in the stickys here.

BTW, YaST2 is, IMHO, broken. I would not use it for anything that is not mandatory...
The factory (development) version is better (but it is broken too). DITTO fo ZMD...
(If not careful either will kill your system or parts thereof...)

hth...

---------------------------------
System: BFG GTX260^2 graphics but has ** TERRIBLE BLINKING OS **
SuperMicro H8DCi+AMI BIOS;dual Opt'285;8GB;LSI 320-2x w/ 6xU320 Fuji' MAXs in RAID 10; 4xSATAII on LSI 3041E for backup. Multi-boot Mandriva Linux, openSUSE, WinXPx64 & Win2k-AS; Creative Audigy2-Digital audio.
Gigabyte GA-2CEWH & NVRAID are GONE ... Finally!!
fhj52 is offline   Reply With Quote