Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-09-03, 11:23 AM   #1
sainigaurav_gs

Default Windows Longhorn

Hi everybody

I have heard and read about Window Longhorn and some sites also provide stuff for Windows Longhorn. I ca

Can anybody tell me what is it exactly. i think a new windows version as read somewhere and where can i get more information about this. Is it to be launched or there is some beta version out.

thanx in advance
sainigaurav_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-03, 12:36 PM   #2
The Baron

New Windows version for servers.

No need to upgrade at all for 99.999999% of users--it's only useful for absurdly high-end servers.

So no, there's no need to get on IRC somewhere and grab that warez version, cause honey, that sucker's gonna be expensive.
Old 04-09-03, 02:46 PM   #3
StealthHawk

are you talking about Windows.Net Server 2003? it just went gold last week or so...you can still get the Release Candidates legally from Microsoft....although as The Baron says, there is absolutely no need to do that. although my friend disagrees, he has some fetish about always using non-consumer OSes.

Windows Longhorn will be the replacement from WinXP, and should be out in 2005.
Old 04-09-03, 05:54 PM   #4
The Baron

Longhorn is the server OS.

Blackcomb is what you're thinking of, and according to my Super Dee Duper Contact Buddy, it's not due out until 2006-2008. That's the one with the 3D-accelerated GDI, BTW. Didn't get into Longhorn.
Old 04-09-03, 10:05 PM   #5
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
Longhorn is the server OS.

Blackcomb is what you're thinking of, and according to my Super Dee Duper Contact Buddy, it's not due out until 2006-2008. That's the one with the 3D-accelerated GDI, BTW. Didn't get into Longhorn.
everything that I've heard points to most of the elements of Blackcomb being implemented into Longhorn instead, such as the new file system.

anyway...every site on the internet says that Longhorn is the desktop release http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/longhorn.asp

according to him Microsoft confirmed it is a desktop release.

other sites and magazines have mentioned Longhorn as being the next desktop release as well...because Blackcomb would not be ready in time. although it sounds like Longhorn won't be ready soon either. first it was scheduled for 2004, and as I already said it seems like it's slipped into 2005. no surprise there, Microsoft is notorious for delaying products.
Old 04-09-03, 10:21 PM   #6
The Baron

Meh, I think I'm insane. Probably got confused with the Longhorn leak and then Win2k3 Server appearing at exactly the same time.

So let me set myself straight:

Win2k3 Server--WinXP Server (from Win2000 Server)
Longhorn--replacement for WinXP
Blackcomb--after Longhorn (?--or maybe there will be no Longhorn, too far away to tell)