Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-05-03, 07:37 PM   #1
jpitman

Question IDE Issues

I've recently upgraded to an Asus A7N8X Deluxe. I've got 768megs of ram and an Athlon XP2500 (Barton) CPU. With this new system I purchased the Asus 9280 video card.

I've got Windows XP working OK, although the system seems to pause on me quite a bit when playing 3D games. Any suggestions why?

On the Linux side of things (RedHat 8.0). The support page claims that support for Sound(though limited Urgh...) and networking are included(Plus some PCI fixes which didn't seem to work). Also claiming that USB and IDE will "work" with the stock Linux drivers.....hmmmm.

I backed up all of my files into a file on my root partition....this basically rendered my system unusable. Even opening up a term window was PAINFULLY slow. Any ideas what the problem might be?

Is it the manufacture of the MB or Video card?

Any help would be nice...

One more added note. I looked through the posted guild for getting everything working under RH 8.0. While I think the guild was well done, why should it be this difficult to get everything working? Couldn't something be done to make everything compatible with the RH 8.0 kernels?

Thanks

Last edited by jpitman; 04-05-03 at 08:00 PM.
jpitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-03, 04:56 AM   #2
Kiamu

for good IDE support you will need at least a 2.4.21-pre6 or later kernel. at least it works for me

usb and firewire seems to init the modules correctly, but i have not testet it yet.
Kiamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-03, 03:06 AM   #3
suexec

Prior to 2.4.21-pre6, I had to use the various preX-acX patches to get proper IDE DMA.

The USB works with my mouse. It sees my other two USB devices, but there are no drivers for them as of yet. One of the unknown devices is a USB2 device. It is a multi-card reader. It would be so sweet if I can access my CF cards in Linux
suexec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-03, 05:46 AM   #4
jpitman

Wink

I agree 100%. I complain a bit about hardware support....the main reason is because of the industry in general (PC industry). I started out way before M$ GUI. There are no standards that last.

I need to get back into programming and start writing my own drivers for things...of course that wouldn't help the current nVidia problem but could cure other issues.

have fun,

JERM
jpitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-03, 09:54 PM   #5
suexec

Yeah, I got the USB2 card reader to work. I had to enable SCSI support in order to enable USB mass storage. The usb-storage module detected the card reader and I was able to mount and read one of my CF cards
suexec is offline   Reply With Quote