Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-21-02, 02:31 AM   #1
Rukkh

Default Reinstalling nVidia Drivers after a kernel compile

Ok, Ive gotten the drivers all working nice and everythings sweet, but then whenever i try to use a different kernel (ie a custom one or a new one) it all goes to hell.

Last time i ended up just reinstalling RH7.3 compiling the kernel then installing the drivers.

However I had missed something in the compile and tired to fix it, thus sending X into a spack again.

My question is this: Is there a way to reinstall nVidia drivers after theyve been installed once, then a kernel upgrades been done?

I've tried a few things but nothing seems to work...(in fact i can't even manage to get the 2D nv driver going again)

Its painfull having to reinstall the entire os everytime i want to tweak the kernel...
Old 08-21-02, 03:26 AM   #2
Rukkh

hahahah withing minutes of posting this i tried to have another stab at it, using the nvchecker thingy i found in one of the other threads around here i changed a few things, deleted some stuff and after fixing a few mouse problems i had...X is finally going again...

great work whoever wrote that script...
Old 08-21-02, 10:42 AM   #3
Anthaus

I had a little trouble as well when I upgraded to 2.4.18-5 from 2.4.18-3. Normally, using the untared drivers folders works fine, (or used to).

I found that the install folders get somewhat "messed up" after an installation. So the solution for me was to upgrade the kernel and the kernel-source, erase the old nvidia folders (kernel and GLX) and untar the original archives again. 'make install' and after afew tweaks (the driver didn't load automatically) everythin' works again.
Old 08-21-02, 11:50 PM   #4
bammbamm808

Send a message via ICQ to bammbamm808 Send a message via AIM to bammbamm808
Default All I do, and there's absolutely no fiddling needed

I have several different kernels available and they all have the nvidia drivers ready to go. After installing, I recompile my kernel to something I like, then get the nvidia tarballs. I extract them and from the NVIDIA-kernel directory, I do "make clean" "make install". Then to the GLX directory and "make install". Edit my XF86Config, and that's it. Say I want to try 2.4.19, which I did, I download the kernel source, do make xconfig, then edit the extra version line of the Makefile. This step insures that the new kernel gets its own directory, and will not interfere at all with any existing kernels. make dep && make clean && make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install. Edit lilo.conf, run lilo, boot into new kernel. Once again for the NVIDIA-kernel, "make clean" "make install", then "make install" for the GLX. XF86Config is already set, so you can just switch kernels via LILO and both are configured with working Nvidia drivers. There was no tweaking, fiddling involved at all.
Old 08-22-02, 12:07 AM   #5
Anthaus

I'll try to keep that in mind. But let's not forget some people would like to keep things simple (most of them, actually).
Old 08-22-02, 01:29 AM   #6
bammbamm808

Send a message via ICQ to bammbamm808 Send a message via AIM to bammbamm808
Default Simple is my middle name...

just ask my wife or my employer, my friends, my kids, my parents....

Sorry though that was pretty simple. :-(