Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-21-06, 10:36 PM   #25
Q

Default Re: Spam threads going too far?

Just to be clear... I posted this in the thread about candle leaving.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Dude...you shouldn't just leave!

I wasn't targeting you at all in that thread!!! You seem pretty alright. At first, the spam threads were really cool. It was pretty much just a wacky chat room and that was cool. If you've noticed in the last few weeks, though, you have pages and pages of just one or two people posting ad naseum and that isn't cool.

I made that thread because post count does mean something. Used correctly and in conjunction with how long someone has been a member, you can see if they are actually a contributor or just a fraud. This was particularly true for the For Sale forum until recently when the rules got tweaked. Even if I didn't know someone here I could look at there join date and post count and make some sort of determination of whether they were going to stick around or fly off with my cash/goods.

My intention was never for some of you newer spammers to get offended and storm off. If I really cared about my post count, I'd be blabing my mouth a lot more and not have these long winded posts. There is nothing wrong with spamming, especially in moderation. Its funny, fun, and can let people know each other a bit better. But this last spam thread turned sour a ways through it, for one thing, and for another is the above mentioned argument.

Even with all of those posts removed from the deletion, you have 600 posts in 7 months. That's a fair number and shows that you participate without spamming.

It's really not that big of an issue and I didn't even want the damn thread closed. I was just pointing out something that was bothering me a bit and to see what other people's thoughts were. I had no idea the thread would be closed and people would be having aneurysms over it. If I would have known I would have just kept my mouth shut.
This all got blown up a lot bigger than what I meant it to. I was merely stating that there was a lot of spam and what I thought was going on. I don't have a lot of stroke around here so whatever actions that were taken were done so because the powers that be deemed so. I wasn't complaining as much as I was just testing the water and trying to find out what the opinion was here. I think I've said about 4 times already that I didn't think it was a really big deal.

Eh, whatever. Sorry I rufled some feathers for something that wasn't even worth mentioning...

Edit:

@ Crainger
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-06, 10:43 PM   #26
Zelda_fan

I think we should have one dedicated spam thread just so other threads don't get derailed by spam. We should delete it and start a new one every two weeks so post counts don't get screwed up (and honestly who gives a crap about post count).

But all this stuff about quitting because of a spam thread is idiocy.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-06, 10:43 PM   #27
grey_1

It's not a big deal Q, it's just being taken that way by a young man being just a touch too sensitive..

You've cleared the air, don't sweat it.
Old 10-21-06, 10:53 PM   #28
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
I think we should have one dedicated spam thread just so other threads don't get derailed by spam. We should delete it and start a new one every two weeks so post counts don't get screwed up (and honestly who gives a crap about post count).

But all this stuff about quitting because of a spam thread is idiocy.
Not to be an ass...but...

Ok, yes, JUST to be an ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
I'd like to think that someone in the 2000+ posts catagory would be able to be trusted.
That's part of my reasoning...then again the new Trade/Selling rules kinda nullify that line of thinking.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-06, 10:57 PM   #29
Zelda_fan

I see your point
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-06, 11:18 PM   #30
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Oh wow look my posts are back
Old 10-22-06, 12:39 AM   #31
Stoneyguy
Mechwarrior

Send a message via MSN to Stoneyguy

Maybe from now on instead of having a spam thread we could have a simple contest thread where people can just have one post submitted for a chance to win. It would be a way to attract new members and reward existing members without upsetting the post count balance.
Stoneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-06, 12:55 AM   #32
Daydre@m
QuadCore-Spam® Enabled

Send a message via MSN to Daydre@m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qlitchford
I love a good bit of spamming as much as the next guy...please...don't get me wrong.

Recently though, I've looked at the post counts in the last few spam threads and just said "WOW!". There are people with 2-3k posts in these threads. I've been here for over two years and barely have 2k posts.

And what's wrong with that? Look at someone like UDawg. He's got nearly 20k posts here. I know he's done his fair share of spamming, but I don't think he ever put 2000 into one thread. And because of that, I look at him and say "Here is someone who is a major contributor at this forum and is someone I can take seriously".

That's why it kinda bothers me when I see someone join and have 2000 posts a week later. They haven't contributed anything of any importance to the forum but have a post count higher than people who have made at least some contribution.

I've been here for a while, so I know who is who. I even like most of the new spammers! But for someone who is new to the site it can be confusing to know who is a legit contributor and who is just some spammer.

It's not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things, and some of it is even postcount jealousy on my behalf! But for the most part, most people put a lot of thought into there posts and it just kinda irks me to see people with 2k posts in a single thread and not a single post contributed anything to the forum.

I know I'm in the minority, but I just really felt that I needed to get that off my chest. How do you guys feel about this?
Quite honestly,

i DO ABSOLUTELY AGREE WITH YOU GUYS IN EVERYTHING YOU SAID...

And from that 2k post overnight, i know who you were referring to

But you have to say onething....

If i have to say so myself, i did a fantastic job, and quite frankly if MikeC wouldnt have come in, i would have entered into the 1st page club... No problem . LOL, it was a really long night and i really put everything into it
I mean, 2000 posts even one word ones, in one night is very very hard.

I mean i posted at the maximum rate you could i.e. 120 posts an hour.

well, it was fun while it lasted

But the most important thing is that now i know most of the guys whom posts i have been reading for the last 3 years ( i registered a year after i started reading nvnews).

and i will try to be a regular spammer...errrgh poster at the forums.

Anyways, sorry of i hurt anyone along the way. Jakup's was and is still on top of my list though . All jokes aside, you have always been an inspiration

and for lightman's question, for a sec after i saw the thread disappear i got something a LOT MORE PAINFULL than a heart attack

Oh and THANK YOU MIKEC !!!
Core 2 Duo E6500 @2.93Ghz| Foxconn X38A Digital Life Motherboard| 4GB Geil DDRII @1066Mhz| Evga GTX260 | Thermaltake Armor Series Casing| OCZ 600Watt StealthXstream| Seagate 500GB SATAII 3Gbps/32Mb Cache HDD's| Viewsonic 28" LCD| Logitech X-550

Current Rig 2:
Intel E5500 @3Ghz| MSI Neo 2 FP/P35| Corsair 2GB DDRII @900Mhz| 2x ATI HD3870s Crossfire| Cooler master Casing| OCZ 600Watt Stealth X Stream| Seagate 120GB HDD| Hanns G 22" Widescreen LCD| Bose 2.1

Current Rig 3:
Intel E2180 @ 2.7Ghz*|Geforce 8600GT*| 2GB Kingston DDRII 667*| Asus P5Q Pro Motherboard|Acer 22" Widescreen LCD| Bose 2.0

*Yeah I know it sucks!
Daydre@m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-06, 02:48 AM   #33
Mr_LoL
Bush's Doppleganger

Hey. It was worth it for me. I won some money. I admit it did get out of hand torwards the end though. I feel like a criminal for posting in that thread now. Better go hang myself.
Core i5 2500K@ 4.5, KFA2 GTX 570, Gigabyte Z68, 8GB Corsair XMS 1600MHZ, Antec Truepower New 650w, Coolermaster Storm Sniper, 1TB Samsung F1, Yamakasi Catleap 27", Samsung 245B, Asus Xonar DG...blah blah blah
Mr_LoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-06, 08:12 PM   #34
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneyguy
Maybe from now on instead of having a spam thread we could have a simple contest thread where people can just have one post submitted for a chance to win. It would be a way to attract new members and reward existing members without upsetting the post count balance.
That's an excellent idea!