Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-21-06, 09:59 PM   #1
Zelda_fan

Default Free CAD software?

I need to find a semi-decent CAD software that is freeware (or at least has a solid trail period). I'm going to use it to design my water cooling system that I plan to put into my new PC. Basically to make sure the dimensions fit and everything.

Any 3D modeling program would do, but I don't want to spend $1000 on 3D studio Max.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-06, 10:53 PM   #2
Subtestube
Anisymbolic

Default Re: Free CAD software?

If you don't care about having a watermark on your renders, and restrictions on transferring files, Maya Personal Learning Edition is, as far as I can remember, otherwise 'full featured':

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...112&id=7639525
Dr Possible: Core 2 Duo E6400 on Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4. Galaxy GeForce 7600GT. 2GB Corsair XMS 2 DDR2-6400 RAM (CL5). ATi Theatre 550 Pro. Windows XP MCE. All stored in Piano black Antec Sonata II, with a broken door.

Mobile: ASUS M2400N, Pentium M 1.5 GHz. 512 MB DDR RAM. Intel EXTREME graphics. Windows XP SP 2 / Ubuntu 5.10.

Ridiculous DOES not have an 'e' in it. It comes from "ridicule" and has less than nothing to do with the colour red.
Subtestube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-06, 10:58 PM   #3
Zelda_fan

wow this is great. And yep, it's for purely personal use, so I'm legal.
Old 10-21-06, 11:04 PM   #4
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
wow this is great. And yep, it's for purely personal use, so I'm legal.
I bet that's what you told Mark Foley, too.

Did try the eval version of AutoCad? I'm pretty sure that its got the same deal with full functionality but with watermarks. If you need 3d it will do it, but Solidworks would be a bit better.

Then again there is the 2d Qcad which has full functionality but is time limited.

* There is no functional difference between the demo version and the professional version of QCad.
* The demo version terminates after 10 minutes.
* It can be restarted and used for 100 hours in total

It would be a bitch to use, but you could probably get away without a watermark.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-06, 11:17 PM   #5
Zelda_fan

wow Maya is so much better than that crappy ass OpenFX I was useing.

I do need something with 3D in it as my cooling solution will exist in 3D space.

Maya looks like it will do the job. I don't see why I'd need AutoCAD for. What sort of things can you do with AutoCAD that you can't with Maya?
Old 10-22-06, 12:30 AM   #6
Subtestube
Anisymbolic

I think Autocad is better with stuff that has definite dimensions, and will do things like space fitting? Like, I believe it's suppose to be designed for actual design work, which is what you're actually doing. That said, Maya is great - I love it.
Dr Possible: Core 2 Duo E6400 on Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4. Galaxy GeForce 7600GT. 2GB Corsair XMS 2 DDR2-6400 RAM (CL5). ATi Theatre 550 Pro. Windows XP MCE. All stored in Piano black Antec Sonata II, with a broken door.

Mobile: ASUS M2400N, Pentium M 1.5 GHz. 512 MB DDR RAM. Intel EXTREME graphics. Windows XP SP 2 / Ubuntu 5.10.

Ridiculous DOES not have an 'e' in it. It comes from "ridicule" and has less than nothing to do with the colour red.
Subtestube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-06, 07:55 PM   #7
einstein_314
w00t!!

Try this out. If you don't need any of the fancy features, this is a 100% free program. No trial. Alibre Link

They also have a trial for the pay version. I believe it's a 30 day trial.

I use Alibre on a daily basis at work and it's a reasonably good program. It just runs terribly on the computer I use (a Sempron with integrated VIA graphics ).

It comes with a bunch of tutorials too, to get to know the basics (well, the pay version does...not sure if the free version does too...)

Oh and if you have any questions on how to do stuff in the program, just PM me and I'll try to help

EDIT: And as for why to use this over MAYA, Alibre (or AutoCAD/Solidworks/Inventor) are programs that are for mechanical design. They specialize in Solid modelling. Maya is a surface modeller (I think, correct me if I'm wrong somebody...) Solid modelling is WAY better for mechanical design. Surface modelling is a must for ergonomic shapes and smooth curvy things. But for a water cooling system, I think Alibre would be better. And the way it works, you just change a dimension at any time and the whole thing updates to reflect that change. I would NOT recommend AUtoCAD for 3D CAD. It plain out sucks. 2D it's great, the best out there. But 3d. No Way.
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote