Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-17-06, 07:41 PM   #1
garry.peters

Default HELP - AIGLX, 9625, FC6, AMDx86_64, Fed Compiz 1.3 , Multihead, Xinerama

Hi All

OK I've now been reading about AIGLX and XGL, Compiz, Beryl and all the other stuff floating around till I'm cross eyed. Given that this appears to be the nearest thing to a central repository of knowledge hopefully someone here can help.

I have the following setup:-

AMD64 Athlon Processor (Single Core) on a NF4 SLI Mobo
2 x NVidia Quadro FX 3500 Boards
4 x Dell 2405FPW Monitors (in a 2x2 setup)
Fedora Core 6 (Kernel 2789) x86_64
NVidia Beta Driver 9625
Xorg 7.1
Standard Compiz 1.3 (i.e. Not Beryl)

I have AIGLX working correct on a single monitor with Compiz working, desktop effects works and gives me all the funky capability as well as being pretty stable.

I want to be able to have the output to the monitors as a Xinerama display in a 3840 x 2400 setup. However from reading all the assorted sources I believe the following are true?

Compiz 1.3 doesn't support X/Xorg Xinerama, there is a Nvidia implementation of Xinerama (I assume clicked from the NVidia display setup program?) however this doesn't work either.

There is a Compiz 2.0 which I could get the git on now (having read the docs not sure if it's going to fix the problems anyway).

There is a Xorg 7.2 due for release fairly soon (docs on this are a bit sketchy)

Does AIGLX/Compiz kill Xscreensavers even in a single screen setup (sorry this is a little outside my experience base), from what I think I've understood the Nvidia driver with Compiz replaces DRI functionality? If so would that explain why the screensavers from fedora extras crash the whole environment? (total machine lock, can't even log on via a remote session).

Depending on the answers above.....

I don't want to use Beryl or XGL (Too many complication with compatibility going forward, I want the desktop environment to stay as pure Fedora Core as possible).

Currently in Twinview with Compiz/AIGLX enabled only screen 0 (left screen) works, Screen 1 (right screen) will have the mouse move across it, however none of the taskbars or app windows can be manipulated.

Well done to the guys from NVidia for releasing the driver, I'm probably now only 6 months away from dumping Windows totally.

I'm sure I'll have follow up questions....but that's it for now.

GP

p.s. As an afterthought would it be possible to subsection this forum? With all the assorted distro's and different flavours of XGL/AIGLX/Compiz/Beryl et al... It gets pretty hard to find information that relates to what your trying to achieve with a Google search.
garry.peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-06, 05:26 PM   #2
garry.peters

Default Re: HELP - AIGLX, 9625, FC6, AMDx86_64, Fed Compiz 1.3 , Multihead, Xinerama

bump.......

anyone help possibly?
garry.peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-06, 03:38 PM   #3
dcoats

Default Re: HELP - AIGLX, 9625, FC6, AMDx86_64, Fed Compiz 1.3 , Multihead, Xinerama

same problems here. gentoo/nvidia/compiz/aiglx/xinerama
I can use either xinerama or compiz just fine.. but not both together...
use beryl... it does the xinerama for you

Last edited by dcoats; 11-04-06 at 11:03 AM.
dcoats is offline   Reply With Quote