Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-18-06, 03:06 AM   #61
fhj52

Default Re: X Not starting with Device Driver "nvidia"

The patch works here to fix the blank screen so i would think that you should be seeing some change too.

BTW, that bug appears to be the same issue I had with PAE in Win2k-AS: system appears to be hung/dead but it is not. One can issue (some) commands. ...

---------------------------------
System: BFG GTX260^2 graphics but has ** TERRIBLE BLINKING OS **
SuperMicro H8DCi+AMI BIOS;dual Opt'285;8GB;LSI 320-2x w/ 6xU320 Fuji' MAXs in RAID 10; 4xSATAII on LSI 3041E for backup. Multi-boot Mandriva Linux, openSUSE, WinXPx64 & Win2k-AS; Creative Audigy2-Digital audio.
Gigabyte GA-2CEWH & NVRAID are GONE ... Finally!!
fhj52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-06, 10:00 AM   #62
+Turion64x2

I've been trying with the same problem. This is my situation (HP Pavillon dv6000 + Slamd64 lastest version):

- The default driver works if I use the options:
agp=off acpi=off pci=commconf
when the kernel is loading, but the sound device turns off and never works.
Without options I always obtain a black screen.

- The NVIDIA...9625 driver + patch don't work without options at kernel loading. With options it works but is very unstable: the X system always crash suddenly two minutes after starting. I'd used different combinations of options for kernel loading but nothing solve the problem. I've rebooted my laptop HUNDREDS of times for this problem because ctrl+alt+F? doesn't work,is it possible to avoid this situation?

- The NVIDIA ... 9626 is for X86 and I have X86_64.

Well, I have some questions:

1) what is the meaning of options I've used for kernel loading? Do these options disable my sound card and for this reason it is not working? are there other devices disabled for this options? How can I use these devices?

2) In the driver supported list, Why is not mentioned my Video Card (GeForce 7200 Go)?

3) To prove options in FEDORA, How can I get access to a text mode preventing directly starting in the graphic mode?

I'll attach a bug report later. Sorry for my English, I'm working in that.

German.
+Turion64x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-06, 11:23 AM   #63
fhj52

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Turion64x2
I've been trying with the same problem. This is my situation (HP Pavillon dv6000 + Slamd64 lastest version):

- The default driver works if I use the options:
agp=off acpi=off pci=commconf
when the kernel is loading, but the sound device turns off and never works.
Without options I always obtain a black screen.

- The NVIDIA...9625 driver + patch don't work without options at kernel loading. With options it works but is very unstable: the X system always crash suddenly two minutes after starting. I'd used different combinations of options for kernel loading but nothing solve the problem. I've rebooted my laptop HUNDREDS of times for this problem because ctrl+alt+F? doesn't work,is it possible to avoid this situation?
The magic sys keys will provide a more graceful exit:
'' alt+sysrq+s '' syncs and '' alt+sysrq+b '' reboots.(use in that order)
You might try blindly typing '' telinit 3 '' and see if it gets you back to the text mode(terminal). The '' telinit 1'' will put the system in single mode if it works. Do not know if the switch to init level 3 or 1 works - have not tried it.
Quote:
- The NVIDIA ... 9626 is for X86 and I have X86_64.
There's a x86_64 version(labled x64). Follow the previous link provided by netlama( Lonnie ).

Quote:
Well, I have some questions:

1) what is the meaning of options I've used for kernel loading? Do these options disable my sound card and for this reason it is not working? are there other devices disabled for this options? How can I use these devices?

2) In the driver supported list, Why is not mentioned my Video Card (GeForce 7200 Go)?

3) To prove options in FEDORA, How can I get access to a text mode preventing directly starting in the graphic mode?

I'll attach a bug report later. Sorry for my English, I'm working in that.

German.
1-Adjusts how the kernel runs. Look in kernel docs for specifics(or google...)
(probably) no. You can check with '' lspci '' ...
Sometimes.
Use the Xorg driver(nv) and use ALSA and specific driver for the sound device. Unless there is a specific reason to use the nvidia driver, such as the nv(xorg driver) does not work properly or it does not have a specific function you need, do not use the nvidia driver. .
2- ... ??? ...
3- Make a copy of the default boot lines, paste it below the default and add a 3 onto the end of the boot command.
E.G., (only an example! for GRUB )
Code:
title Linux 2.6.16 init 3 ( text mode )
  root (hd0,2)
  kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 vga=0x31B resume=/dev/hda6 3
  initrd /initrd

SuperMicro H8DCi+AMI BIOS;dual Opt'285;8GB;LSI 320-2x w/ 6xU320 Fuji' MAXs in RAID 10; 4xSATAII on LSI 3041E for backup. Multi-boot Mandriva Linux, openSUSE, WinXPx64 & Win2k-AS; Creative Audigy2-Digital audio.
Old 10-18-06, 12:03 PM   #64
GeminiViper

Send a message via MSN to GeminiViper Send a message via Yahoo to GeminiViper

FHJ52
Here's the deal. In the end I went back to SuSE because it's easy for me and I'm MOST familiar with it. I like it's setup and it's package management system. It has it's problems just like any distro but it's been the best thing for me. Mandriva was good but something about it irritated me and I can't really figure it out. I guess I caught my groove with SuSE.
So my hardware situation is like this. I think I mentioned this before but not in any amount of real detail. The motherboard I have is a PCI Express with what the manufacturer (MachSpeed) calls an MGP port. My graphics card is an AGP card. In my CMOS I have the option to run my graphics in PCI or PCI-E. I have it set to PCI for the obvious lack of a PCI-E card. It's been nagging me that maybe that has something to do with it. And like in this other guy's situation maybe I should turn off AGP. Just a thought.
As you asked, Yes, when I installed the driver ./nvidia-installer (after being patched and before patch) the installation goes without a hitch but I still get the black screen.
How do I put my system in sig?
Yes, when my xorg.conf file driver is set to "nv" AND my Load glx is commented out I run fine. But I have to have BOTH "disabled".
GeminiViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-06, 01:26 PM   #65
fhj52

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiViper
FHJ52
Here's the deal. In the end I went back to SuSE because it's easy for me and I'm MOST familiar with it. I like it's setup and it's package management system. It has it's problems just like any distro but it's been the best thing for me. Mandriva was good but something about it irritated me and I can't really figure it out. I guess I caught my groove with SuSE.
So my hardware situation is like this. I think I mentioned this before but not in any amount of real detail. The motherboard I have is a PCI Express with what the manufacturer (MachSpeed) calls an MGP port. My graphics card is an AGP card. In my CMOS I have the option to run my graphics in PCI or PCI-E. I have it set to PCI for the obvious lack of a PCI-E card. It's been nagging me that maybe that has something to do with it. And like in this other guy's situation maybe I should turn off AGP. Just a thought.
As you asked, Yes, when I installed the driver ./nvidia-installer (after being patched and before patch) the installation goes without a hitch but I still get the black screen.
How do I put my system in sig?
Yes, when my xorg.conf file driver is set to "nv" AND my Load glx is commented out I run fine. But I have to have BOTH "disabled".
openSUSE is good; I use openSUSE.
It takes a little more KB of Linux, typically, than MDK has historically but we all learn. Learning is good.
(ICYDK, openSUSE released new CD & DVD for openSUSE 10.1 last week(13 Oct) which include rollups for all the issues and improvements. I suggest using it. )

AGP;
If you have an AGP card, BIOS and OS settings need to be for AGP. AGP is not PCI. AGP does not work at same freq as PCI. AGP is 66MHz and 32bits. Always. AGP x# increases the amount of data transferred by # times. AGP x2 is twice as much and, in your case(IIRC), AGP x4 has four sets of data on each clock cycle which is still 66.6MHz. Effectively, AGP x4 can be ~ four times as fast as AGP(x1). ...
MGP -vs- AGP according to MachSpeed:
Quote:
the MGP port connects through the regular PCI Bus, however, the cards we have listed on the site are tested at full AGP performance in that slot.
Clearly, Machspeed has a proprietary method to use AGP on PCI.
That means there are compatibility issues. Your GBT card may or may not work(E: correctly!) in the MGP port. Please verify it through Machspeed _and_ GBT(if you have not already).

AGP is dead. It looks alive but it is not. In the long run it will be to your advantage to have PCIe. If you want to resolve the issue immediately, I suggest getting a PCIe video card. If you have another board with real AGP, use the GBT card in it. If not sell the card to someone who does.
...just a suggestion but let us know if you follow it.

If you are bound to the AGP card for a while, of course PCI and MGP/AGP need to be on in the BIOS. PCIe is not needed unless Machspeed has serialized the AGP port somehow. You probably need to make sure that Machspeed is not using the PCIe for the MGP before turning it off. (otherwise you'll have no video at all!) But the rule for the BIOS, in general, is turn off anything that is not used. E.g., the so-called 'Option ROM' settings need to be off unless you have an adapter card that uses it. Same applies to other widgets in the BIOS, e.g., PCIe.

Sig:
AT the top there's a ''User CP'' and you can click on it to set preferences for this forum, including signature, avatar, subscriptions, etc.

glx & nv:
When the nvidia module is installed, the xorg cannot load glx because it does not exist( as Mesa modules that ''nv'' needs). The proprietary nvidia install replaces files with links and disables others...
If you uninstall the nvidia driver/module, the links are supposed to be fixed and then xorg and glx can play together with the ''nv'' xorg driver. So while the system will work just fine with nv driver it must do so without glx until the nvidia driver is uninstalled. Nvidia's rep here, netlama (Lonnie), can correct that if I am wrong ...

Ric

[rant]
Gigabyte, [ ... snip ... ]
Summary: Avoid their products and the new ASUS-Gigabyte company products if at all possible.
[/rant]

Edit:
PS:
I looked briefly at Mach Speed Viper MK8-939A info and based on what I read, the MGP runs through the PCI bus only so it would be safe to disable PCIe in the BIOS if you can.
Like AGP, PCIe(PCI Express) is not PCI ... PCIe works completely, fundamentally, differently. PCIe naming is terribly confusing for non-geeks but it allowed marketing to be better. So don't let it confuse you. Rem': PCIe =/= PCI ( so PCI cards won't work in PCIe slots).
( BTW, PCIX(PCI-X) is PCI and works, fundamentally, the same way. Some PCI cards can be used in PCIX slots & most new cards can. )

Last edited by fhj52; 10-19-06 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-19-06, 06:48 PM   #66
+Turion64x2

Thanks for the advices. I proved the 9626 driver and the situation is similar, with the difference that now the x-system doesn't run when i use options at kernel loading, and again it is very unstable with options. I guess that the option pci=nommconf affects my sound device because in the short time before crashing without this option i prove the sound and it works propertly, but with this option and whatever 'nv' or 'nvidia' drivers the sound never works. Before testing audio I always configure it with ALSA and always before starting X. I just want to use an 'nvidia' driver just to use all the possibilities of my laptop, for example the resolution 1280x800.
I attached bugs.log files for diferent loadings which are conmented in a txt file and please help me to detect the factor which don't allow to use the nvidia driver.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: gz bugs.tar.gz (105.4 KB, 107 views)
+Turion64x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-06, 05:18 PM   #67
fhj52

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Turion64x2
Thanks for the advices. I proved the 9626 driver and the situation is similar, with the difference that now the x-system doesn't run when i use options at kernel loading, and again it is very unstable with options. I guess that the option pci=nommconf affects my sound device because in the short time before crashing without this option i prove the sound and it works propertly, but with this option and whatever 'nv' or 'nvidia' drivers the sound never works. Before testing audio I always configure it with ALSA and always before starting X. I just want to use an 'nvidia' driver just to use all the possibilities of my laptop, for example the resolution 1280x800.
I attached bugs.log files for diferent loadings which are conmented in a txt file and please help me to detect the factor which don't allow to use the nvidia driver.

Thanks.
Sorry but i don't recall all the ramifications of using pci=nommconf for booting the kernel.

But I do know that pci=nommconf is not a standard kernel configuration. Nobody should use it unless there is a specific issue that makes it required. IIRC, that was a work-around used for older kernels and ACPI issues, specifically ACPI Segments ( Multiple PCI Domains ), ... BICBW.
You need to look for it on Google or other web search tool and, in particular, the LKML.

I suggest that you split these issues into the audio problem and the X problem.
For audio, you really need to go to another forum or at least another thread if you want help with that issue.
AND you must post the hardware info. How can anybody assist with unknown information? :?: Answer: nobody can!

[Additional info]
In general, trying to be as simple as possible, do not use the nvidia driver/module unless you must use it.

There are some cases where OpenGL works better than the Xorg nv driver and there are some other things, hardware dependent, where one needs the nvidia driver.
However, using the nvidia driver defeats the purpose of having the nv driver because issues will never be fixed if they are not reported and requested to be fixed or enhanced, among other things. ( Other things are that nvidia driver is closed source, security risks, ... etc. )

I used only the XFree driver for years since there was no nvidia driver for Linux. Later, there was and I tried it but honestly, there was not that much of a difference. I quit using it for long time.
Currently, I use the nvidia module because I have pretty new hardware and some applications that need it. Otherwise, completely truthfully, there is not a chance that I would consider using a closed source video driver. It is not worth the risk and hassle.
For example, YESTERDAY I found that there is a 9626 driver for 'quadro' type products which is where one gets if one uses the Nvidia driver selection and download list. TODAY, the same method gets to the correct driver:1.0-8776 .
The RELEASED driver for *nix is on another page: http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html and it is
Latest Version: 1.0-8776
And the RELEASED driver is the ONLY driver that should ever be allowed for nvidia-installer --update
At least until last week, one would get a BETA driver but nVidia did not bother telling the user that is was BETA! I don't know what happens today and won't because I cannot risk using --update.

Who knows, besides nVidia what the diff is between it and 9626? I don't.
With Xorg or XFree you do know or, at least, you can know if you need to.

Furthermore, READ this: http://download2.rapid7.com/r7-0025/
The nVidia supplied module has not been secure for a long time. Today there is supposedly a fix. That long time to admit to the problem and get a fix would never have happened with open source driver.

While I admit there are a few good reasons to use the nVidia reference driver, unless one really _needs_ it, one should not use it.
[/end add-on]

Old 10-20-06, 05:22 PM   #68
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

fhj52,
Alot of what you've stated above is inaccurate. I'd suggest you read here:
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/n...p?p_faqid=1971

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-06, 11:03 PM   #69
fhj52

[Offtopic]
Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
fhj52,
Alot of what you've stated above is inaccurate. I'd suggest you read here:
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/n...p?p_faqid=1971

Thanks,
Lonni
Lonni,
I appreciate your efforts here, in general, and, now, for standing up and saying something for your employer but I know of nothing that is inaccurate.
Please be specific.

And, BTW, I had already read the NV version. You, being an employee, take it for gospel. I being an old guy who has been in corpo-enviro know that it is a story with a spin.

There are bugs in all software. Sometimes those can be security risks. That is not big news to experienced people and although action is needed in two fronts, inform & fix+deliver, it is just part of using software. IOW, I don't see nvidia's bug in the same light as the ''7'' security team did/does.

I have been using nvidia modules for MS & Linux(off/on) OS since TnT. (Diamond finally gave up trying to make better TnT drivers...) That's a long time Lonni ... & I don't recall any major security issues, at least none that affected me. Personally, I see that as a D! good record!
However, it does not negate the fact that if the source was open, the community, your customers, could have known about the issue in 8762 and been fixed at that time. For that matter, it is altogether possible that the bug would never have existed in the first place. The axiom is two heads are better than one and the more eyes that look at code the better it will be.

AND, I must add because it bugs the heck out of me, that does not negate nVidia (1) suppyling BETA driver for nvidia-installer -a --update; (2) not telling the customer it is BETA and (3) not telling the customer WHY a BETA is being delivered instead of the 8774.
I had NO knowledge whatsoever that there was any issue with 8774 driver. Clearly nVidia knew there was some problem and it was serious enough to have a customer use BETA rather than the released 8774 driver. ...

Thanks.
Ric
[/Offtopic]

Last edited by fhj52; 10-22-06 at 06:45 AM.
Old 10-23-06, 01:19 PM   #70
fhj52

@GeminiViper
Did you find out if your video card is supposed to be fully compatible?
If yes, did you try the 8776( http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html ) driver? -what results?

c-ya

EDIT:
No answer ... I give up.
GL2U...

Last edited by fhj52; 10-28-06 at 01:30 AM.
Old 10-30-06, 11:01 AM   #71
GeminiViper

Sorry guys... Thanks for all your help. I was away on vacation. Fortunately, not thinking about all these issues. I was happliy sipping bahama mama's on the sandy beaches of the bahamas. This is the first chance I've had to sit with my computer since getting home 2 days ago. I have looked at the compatibility list on MachSpeeds page. I don't know who makes my card i.e. PNY Gigabit, or whoever but my card is listed on the AGP compatibility list. There are no options in my CMOS for AGP. Where in AGP systems there was AGP and PCI video adapter options, I have PCI and PCIe. Due to the vacation I cannot justify buying a new graphics card right now. However the day before I left I attempted a AGP Off option in my xorg.conf. Needless to say and as you are shaking your had with your hand over your face, it did not work. And now I cannot even get to a command line. DOH! So i'll have to attempt to run it in safemode, if that works great, I will try out the 8776 driver. If not well... The innevitable rebuild will be in order as I have lost most of my patiences for this. If the 8776 does not work I'll just have to get a PCIe card. I know that's the way of graphics cards now and do want one but I haven't been able to justify the update just yet. What I really don't understand is why does 3D work perfectly in windows with the exact same hardware but will not work in Linux. Is that just the driver for Linux? I would only assume such. Thanks guys.
Old 11-01-06, 11:40 AM   #72
GeminiViper

Okay... So, I have installed the 8776 driver. Same issue. I have a buddy working with my while looking at my system through ssh. He has done some tweaking and has had no success. His tweaking I believe is nothing more than altering the Vsync and HorizRefresh. He recompiled my kernel and rebuilt my nvidia driver. Then he tried using the 9626 with the NOSMBUS patch. Still no progress. He believes the problem is within the driver having issues with the fact that I have an MGP port and no ACTUAL AGP. Leading my back to believe that if only I had a PCIe card.... I'll post a new nvidia bug report when I get the chance. Thanks.