Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-31-06, 02:16 AM   #1
Mug

Default No windows borders with Desktop Effects

I've been trying to two days now, but I still have this problem it seems many share.
Fedora Core 6 using latest beta nvidia drivers. Whenever I enable desktop effects, they work fine but the title bars (maximise, minimise, close, and window name) all dissapear.
I've made sure all the plugins are in my compiz config, and tried adding all sorts of lines to my xorg.conf but nothing helps, has anyone got this fixed before? I've searched forums and forums and found people's ideas for solutions, but none work for me.
Mug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-06, 03:03 AM   #2
Pesci

Default Re: No windows borders with Desktop Effects

Try to add Load "extmod" to the Module section in your xorg.conf. I think this information has to be added to the the compiz HOWTO...
Pesci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-06, 03:21 AM   #3
Mug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesci
Try to add Load "extmod" to the Module section in your xorg.conf. I think this information has to be added to the the compiz HOWTO...
Tried, stops desktop effects working.
Mug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-06, 08:41 AM   #4
TPG
Unregistered User

Your window manager crashes or ain't started at all.

if you are running compiz, you should have either gtk-window-manager or gnome-window-manager running as a process.

I think this is not related to this forum.
Old 11-01-06, 09:12 PM   #5
Void Main

I had a somewhat related problem with window borders. I could enable them and have things work but if I logged off and back on the borders would be gone again until I disabled and enabled desktop-effects again. I originally had everything working with my 6600GT with the beta driver and then my computer died. I moved the drives into another machine with a legacy nVidia card and had to install the legacy nVidia driver. Come to find out desktop-effects won't work with the legacy driver on a default FC6 setup.

Someone suggested I install Xgl and the related Mesa and compiz RPMS. I did this and never got it to work. I was able to get my newer computer working again (bad power supply) so I moved the drives back, removed the Xgl and related RPMS and reinstalled the FC6 version of compiz and reinstalled the beta nVidia driver. That's when the problem cropped up. I would lose borders on initial logon. I noticed in my .xsession-errors file something about it not being able to load the 'csm' module. I realized that was a module from the Xgl version of compiz so I knew some configuration from those RPMS was still hanging around.

To make a long story long I found 3 files in the /usr/share/gnome/autostart directory that were left over from the Xgl version of compiz. Those files were named "backspace.desktop", "cgwd.desktop", and "compiz.desktop". I had to get rid of those 3 files and also removed my ~/.gconf/apps/compiz directory structure. I logged off and back on and everything was back to working the way it was supposed to work. There was also a ~/.kde/Autostart/compiz.desktop file that should be removed if you use kde.

If anyone else out there played with the Xgl RPMS and you are having this problem then maybe this will help you out.
Void Main is offline   Reply With Quote