Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-27-05, 04:27 PM   #13
JaXXoN

Default Re: nforce3 raid controler on linux? yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhj52
I'm not sure about the reference to SI. -?
This meant that, IIRC, the BIOS firmware for the SI3114 allowed
to define RAID5 sets in the SI BIOS menu.

Quote:
The RAID 5 is included in the latest HARM manual and it is presumably "defined" in the latest nforce4 software for MS platform.
I see. So maybe, you can define RAID5 sets with some NVIDIA
windows tool (in case you can't do so in the BIOS menu).

regards

Bernhard
JaXXoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-05, 05:38 PM   #14
fhj52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaXXoN
This meant that, IIRC, the BIOS firmware for the SI3114 allowed
to define RAID5 sets in the SI BIOS menu.

I see. So maybe, you can define RAID5 sets with some NVIDIA
windows tool (in case you can't do so in the BIOS menu).

regards

Bernhard
hmmm, something I did not think about. I'll consider.
Decided the best thing to do was to start doing something to at least find out what will happen.
FIRST thing I found out that will happen:
During install of MS Win2kAS, it choked after the F6 to load storage drivers and returned an "unexpected error ... blah" so I could not load the NV RAID driver.

I don't know why it was "unexpected" error.
I expected it, after all it's a MS product

Thanks.

---------------------------------
System: BFG GTX260^2 graphics but has ** TERRIBLE BLINKING OS **
SuperMicro H8DCi+AMI BIOS;dual Opt'285;8GB;LSI 320-2x w/ 6xU320 Fuji' MAXs in RAID 10; 4xSATAII on LSI 3041E for backup. Multi-boot Mandriva Linux, openSUSE, WinXPx64 & Win2k-AS; Creative Audigy2-Digital audio.
Gigabyte GA-2CEWH & NVRAID are GONE ... Finally!!
fhj52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-05, 12:22 PM   #15
JaXXoN

[ Windows tool to define NVRAID sets ]

Quote:
hmmm, something I did not think about. I'll consider.
hmm, i now think that probably won't work either: even if you could
define RAID sets with some NV Windows tool, then still the BIOS needs
to handle that RAID set! Ans since you can't define RAID5 in the BIOS,
i don't think that it will boot from a pre-defined RAID5 set.

However, you could use the two ATA drives for a RAID1 set for
boot/root partitions and the other four drives as RAID5 for
/usr, /home, /opt, etc.

regards

Bernhard
JaXXoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-05, 01:53 PM   #16
fhj52

Wink Re: nforce3 raid controler on linux? yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaXXoN
[ Windows tool to define NVRAID sets ]

hmm, i now think that probably won't work either: even if you could
define RAID sets with some NV Windows tool, then still the BIOS needs
to handle that RAID set! Ans since you can't define RAID5 in the BIOS,
i don't think that it will boot from a pre-defined RAID5 set.

However, you could use the two ATA drives for a RAID1 set for
boot/root partitions and the other four drives as RAID5 for
/usr, /home, /opt, etc.

regards

Bernhard
Hi Bernhard,
Yep, I had same conclusion.
And the setup with RAID 1 is what I hoped I could do but it seems that I have to make a drivers' disk using a floppy but I don't have a floppy drive on the system.
I do have a very nice & tiny USB Flash Drive which works just great -can even boot from it(BIOS recognizes it as a bootable strorage medium).
BUT
(1) have not figured out if I can or how to modify the NV software to make a disk using the key and
(2) not sure that Win2k has the ability to use any other method to get manufacturer's drivers during the install. I.e, the reason the F6 function died during the install might have been because Win2k expects a floppy drive to be used for installation of 3rd party drivers. I'm not sure about that but it sounds like MSBS.

Neither would be an intractable problem IF they were Open Source.

SO, I have some other things to get done and in the interim have to reconsider what I want as opposed to what nVidia and Microsoft will allow me to do.

NV IDE drivers for SATA are not working, or at least not working fully. The drives are now in device manager but not usable, do not show in Disk Mangler or any other place.
I installed the 6.66 "Platform" and Win2k complained that it could not "find" the controller that it had listed. So I got the 6.7 and tried them; same thing.
Since the four SATA were setup as RAID 5 (3+1) but I never did get the NV RAID loaded, I think it might be possible that is interfering... somehow.

Linux, of course, does not care; works anyway as long as the NV ROM BIOS is set one way or the other. (It does not like me making changes to NV ROM BIOS but that is not too surprising.)

The problem with setting up RAID 1 using NV but not for the RAID 5 is that, among other things, Win2k will write thousands of lines of "Warning" messages which will make use of the Event Viewer pretty much worthless. It also causes Win2k to slow down. Win2k is slow enough already...
Now it might do that anyway because the data RAID will be ext3 and MS still refuses to recognize or use ext* filesystem. However, on other multiboot systems it is a passive complaint as long as Win* thinks the drives are "healthy" - it cannot use them but does not get all upset about it and freak out.

Anyway, this is going to take a long time to get done. I started installing Win2k AS about 5PM and finally gave up on NV IDE drivers around 3AM. I did other things of course but a tremendous amount of that time was waiting on downloads and for MS to reboot -there must have been at least 2 DOZEN reboots ...

I am probably going to have to steal a floppy drive from another system which is possible but not desirable since I am quite certain that at some point that system, whichever it is, will need some kind of update that will require a floppy drive & disk. (Murphy's law...)

I think I am going to start a crusade against the floppy drive. We have been maligned with that excuse for a storage medium for 20+ years. I hate 'em; always have. USB FD work great and I have not seen a mobo made in years that does not have at least two USB ports...
I think it is time to remove floppy drive connectors from the mobo's. WDYT?

SuperMicro H8DCi+AMI BIOS;dual Opt'285;8GB;LSI 320-2x w/ 6xU320 Fuji' MAXs in RAID 10; 4xSATAII on LSI 3041E for backup. Multi-boot Mandriva Linux, openSUSE, WinXPx64 & Win2k-AS; Creative Audigy2-Digital audio.
Old 12-30-05, 12:28 PM   #17
fhj52

System died yesterday morning. The Supermicro H8DCE's AMI BIOS won't run POST.
That is as in: it won't even get to the first beep(hangs somewhere around setting ports...).
Sending back today as RMA and won't get new one until at least 9th/10th since Monarch Computer Systems claims they need one or two DAYS to process it once they receive it. One or two hours makes sense to me, but two days? ...

Perhaps between now & than nVidia will provide some straight answers about HARM.

So have a Happy & Safe New Years!

c-ya next year

Ric

Old 03-01-06, 02:34 PM   #18
aslnetusa

fhj52 - a CMOS reset may bring that board back up again

I've noticed an odd thing about s/w RAID in Mandriva 2006 - I have 2 IDE drives and I like striping them to squeeze performance, so there are md0 for /, md1 for swap and md2 for /home - now, with Mdr-06 every time I install the OS with 'Use exiting partitions' option it fails to mount the formatted md2, forcing me to reformat each time - its a machine where I play around with distros, so I'm not losing critical data, but it is something which has made me very wary of linux s/w RAID - it can break, and lose all data! Mdk-10.1 did not use to do this. (Ubuntu 5.1 for example failed to read its own s/w RAID partitions.)

the SATA RAID on the Asus A8N-CSM attracted me, even tho I realized it was not a full h/w RAID at that price point - really was under the impression that Nvidia supports Linux diligently, so lets hope they put more emphasis on simultaneous support for their smaller markets
aslnetusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-06, 11:05 PM   #19
fhj52

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslnetusa
fhj52 - a CMOS reset may bring that board back up again

I've noticed an odd thing about s/w RAID in Mandriva 2006 - I have 2 IDE drives and I like striping them to squeeze performance, so there are md0 for /, md1 for swap and md2 for /home - now, with Mdr-06 every time I install the OS with 'Use exiting partitions' option it fails to mount the formatted md2, forcing me to reformat each time - its a machine where I play around with distros, so I'm not losing critical data, but it is something which has made me very wary of linux s/w RAID - it can break, and lose all data! Mdk-10.1 did not use to do this. (Ubuntu 5.1 for example failed to read its own s/w RAID partitions.)

the SATA RAID on the Asus A8N-CSM attracted me, even tho I realized it was not a full h/w RAID at that price point - really was under the impression that Nvidia supports Linux diligently, so lets hope they put more emphasis on simultaneous support for their smaller markets
Just in case someone else reads all of this very involved thread and gets to the last post, I feel obligated to say sorry that you had trouble but
Linux =/= mandriva*
And md (linux software raid) or dmraid(NVRAID on linux) were, clearly, not being handled properly on the Mandriva 2006 install.
Also, *buntu, IMHO, just plain suks since 5.04. ... so no surprise there.

IOW, do not blame ''linux sw raid'' for what any Linux distro does. Any RAID can break or be broken, SW or HW, just like any OS can break or be broken but linux RAID is used on thousands(millions?) of servers without problems. I'd say 99% of those, at least, do not use Mandriva or *buntu and especially not the GUI versions(KDE/Gnome/XFce/other).

Thanks for the CMOS tip as that can fix some things.
But, for the record, CMOS reset does not fix that board. There are a few tricks that *might* bring H8DCE back to life, in particular, a very odd one involving putting a cooling fan directly over the 2200 chipset, but most are just dead. Mine was dead. I got lucky and got a refund and bought another brand. ...

And NVIDIA has not done squat to make NVRAID any better for Linux. No new manual, blah ... won't even answer posts about it.